12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Are flatbeds hard on the body mounts?

Old 10-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Are flatbeds hard on the body mounts?

I have heard some people say putting a flatbed with a built in gooseneck ball on a truck and towing a good sized gooseneck can stress the frame and bed mounts more than usual even if the truck is rated for it. Is this true?? I want to put a flatbed on a second gen I want to buy. I have seen some people cut out the recessed ball in the bed.and put a plate underneath the flatbed in it's place. Is it something I should do just in case? My grandfather has a few old farm trucks that have not run in a while and he would probably give me one of the gooseneck plates in them.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Anybody? Share your thoughts or opinions even if yer just spitballing. Ya might point out something useful!!

Old 10-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Truck Guy99
I have heard some people say putting a flatbed with a built in gooseneck ball on a truck and towing a good sized gooseneck can stress the frame and bed mounts more than usual even if the truck is rated for it. Is this true?? I want to put a flatbed on a second gen I want to buy. I have seen some people cut out the recessed ball in the bed.and put a plate underneath the flatbed in it's place. Is it something I should do just in case? My grandfather has a few old farm trucks that have not run in a while and he would probably give me one of the gooseneck plates in them.
I have no fact to back up my reasoning, but I would think that a plate in the frame, separate from the bed is the best bet. Just like how the bolt on applications are. My reasoning would be because if it was attached the the flat bed, which would be bolted on four of the frame posts and the rear half on th frame directly, (unless fabricated yourself in a different approach for the bed mounts) that would create more leverage for flex in the frame, which could lead to bad stress on the mounts. But with a plate under the bed like the bolt on applications, the plate is bolted to the sides and top of the frame, creating a strut, increasing frame rigidness, along with being a more stable mount. I would go with the plate on the frame if it was my truck, or fabricate them both in the same application.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Sudia247, you hit the nail on the head on this one. That's exactly what I was thinking! I was thinking that it could cause cracking from fatigue on the tail of the frame.Does anyone agree or disagree with us on that?

Old 10-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 143 Likes on 125 Posts

Did you ever get a truck? Truck guy.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Old 10-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I think yall are right. But I also think it would take alot of weight or extreme conditions to tweek it that much.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I actually just got a job at an exotic game ranch about a 1 mile long walk from home and every dime goes to a savings aka a peanut jar with a slot in the lid. I do want a 1st or 2nd generation dodge because I want to keep my first ride forever and I know the mighty cummins is up to the task. I want a flatbed because I want a nice flat surface to work off of that won't burst a fender every 6 months or so and I want to haul hay without worrying about crushing a bed side with a gooseneck or bending the bed rail strapping in stuff. I also like the look of a flatbed truck.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD, I meant something that happens over time, not ""Hook it to my 8000 pound gooseneck and it rips off" kinda thing.

Last edited by Truck Guy99; 10-15-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me and my dad have flatbeds and also sell and install flatbeds. When we mount them if we are going to use it alot for pulling we put 4 mounts on each side and have never had a problem and are pulling hauling heavy loads all the time with ours.(cows and farm equipment) Im beleive the more mounts the better of your are. The flatbed also spreads the weight through the whole frame instead of just the center

Old 10-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

So your saying it may actually cushion the stress if it has the extra mounts? The flat beds I am looking at are not ones im ordering,, one is at a junkyard and one is at a used equipment yard. So unless I get lucky, they probably won't have the extra mounts. Should I just whack the built in one and add the plate while I already have the bed off?

Old 10-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

Weve had flat beds with the built in goosenecks Ive pulled 230000 pounds with ours many times, I didnt go very fast though but they have help up...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are flatbeds hard on the body mounts?