12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

12v cracked cylinder head / performance advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v cracked cylinder head / performance advise

I recently bought a 98 12v that has cracks on every exhaust port of the cylinder head. The truck still runs perfect except it is a completely stock California model with an EGR system. So I will be replacing the cylinder head in the near future. Can I get some recommendations on any other performance mods I could do in conjunction with this job. I was planning to replace the exhaust manifold with a 3 piece at the same time, maybe a new turbo shortly after.
If someone has specific recommendations for a cylinder head, 3 piece exhaust manifold, turbo, injectors and intake manifold this would be great.

My plan for the truck is a street daily driver that will be pulling a large travel trailer. I also DO NOT want any of these mods to potentially effect the overall longevity of my engine because I plan to do my best to see 1 million miles on this truck.

thanks guys!

Old 08-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 76 Likes on 73 Posts

You should definately upgrade your valvesprings, get #60 or #120...

I would also have your headwork done, port/polish and ring your head if you plan on doing some power mods and want durability...

Get studs before you bolt your head down....

Then you should make a #100 plate or buy it... tune your afc and bump timing to 16,5°...

Happy coal rolling !

*edit*

Is your truck Auto or Manual ?

You should definately look into buying a South Bend 13125-OFEK or FEK clutch if you have manual or get a Suncoast kit for your Auto Tranny if you have Auto...

The automatic transmissions on these trucks are definately the weakest link...

Your Cummins will see 1 million miles if you only change oils regularly, use high grade oils AND take good care of your chassis...

In my experience the bodywork will give up before the motor does...

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

i also forgot to mention that you should definately get a 4k GSK (Governor Spring Kit)

Last edited by angelic0-; 08-30-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Thx angelic0,

So yeah I have a 2wd auto and yes I have heard all the news about this trans is the weak link, but I also heard about suncoast transmissions and if my trans is built up correctly it potentially is a better trans than an Allison.
As for the body, the truck came from San Diego without a spot of rust on it.
And I totally agree about keeping up on oil changes and using a quality oil, I only use AMSOIL engine oil and still change it prematurely.

As for the head/valve springs/studs/port and polish.... I was hoping someone would have a lead or a recommendation on where to buy a completed head like this ready to be bolted on at a reasonable price??

I can not have this work done on my existing head because it needs replacing due to multiple cracks.

I was told by the previous owner that he replaced the fuel plate but it is set to factory spec because it was the only upgrade he had done to it besides 4 inch exhaust from down tube back.

Last edited by mtbcummins; 08-30-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:05 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 76 Likes on 73 Posts