12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

How to get a 12v running...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get a 12v running...

Okay, so this is my first post. I have a 2003.25 F-350 6.0 FX4 with 210k on it, which I absolutely love... it has been a great truck for me. It looks great, and the interior (Lariat) is super comfy. That said, it has a 6.0. The 6.0 has actually been very good to me (hell, it's still running at 210k!), but it's got a couple slow oil leaks, it needs a couple injectors, doesn't have head studs, etc. I have gone back and forth between a rebuild on the 6.0 or a 12v swap... well, I found a 12v for $700 with 180k on it, and I couldn't let that go. So now I have a '95 12v with a P7100 sitting in my garage

Most everything is there, except for the water pump, starter, shut-off solenoid and most importantly, the turbo. The guy said somebody stole the turbo while it was sitting in his yard.

So what now? I must get it running of course! I bought a turbo, oil drain hose, and oil feed hose some other nickel and dime parts on ebay, and they will all be here tomorrow.

I have a couple of questions on how to get it running:

1. Since the shut off solenoid is gone, in what position do I put the lever where the solenoid goes?

2. Where does this line go (the one hanging off with the little rubber hose) - I saw a pic online where it was labeled "turbo actuator"? It comes from the port side of the engine, near the pump, and goes to the starboard side through the exhaust manifold.

Anything I should watch out for? Where is a good place to put a mechanical oil pressure gauge? What else do I need to get this bad girl started?

Here is a pic of my truck

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the help!

PS - a sad story... Monday night about 1am, I went out to my (detached) garage to take a look at the 12v before ordering some parts on ebay, and I left the door unlocked to the garage... some d!ckless loser went in my garage (and every other unlocked detached on my street) around 2am, rummaged through my car, and my truck - and stole my Springfield XD9mm!

Old 08-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lever towards the front to run(i believe)

That line comes off the back of the AFC housing on the P7100
and runs over to the turbo wastegate actuator. (turbo is missing so its just hanging there)

All you need is fuel pressure to the inlet of the P7100, and a battery on the starter and she will run!
I believe the oil sending unit is under the P pump.

If you can find it there is an 1/8"NPT plug on top of the oil filter housing you can tap into.

As far as what to look out for, i would make sure the Killer Dowel Pin has been fixed.
Requires removing the front timing cover.

We rebuilt and swapped in a 12V in my buddies 05 f350
Will you be using an auto or manual trans?

Old 08-17-2012, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. The turbo/waste gate/oil lines/etc will all be here today, so I figure I will put the turbo on before I fire it off.

Excuse my novice understanding of the 12v, but isn't there a lift pump that feeds the p7100? I have the original fuel lines hanging off the back (fuel supply and return if I am not mistaken), can I just put them in a can of diesel? Or do I need a separate fuel pump as well?

I plan on waiting a while before doing the swap, so I will probably freshen this engine up.

My truck is an auto with the 5r110. I am thinking about holding out and swapping to an Allison tranny as well... World's best truck IMO!

How does your buddy like the 12v?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The lift pump would pry work but you would have to pressurize the fuel can to prime the lift pump.
He loves it, he has a nv4500 in his tho now.(from my dodge).
It is alot of work to get them transmissions tuned properly.
I heard the allison is even worse to tune than the 5r110.
But if you got it dialed in it would be a sweet machine.
Good luck

Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Diesel Fan

Go manual zf 6 dual disc south bend best combo unless u want to keep throwing autos at it.