5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

New to Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Cummins

Hey guys, I just joined last night after reading some good info about these trucks. I am looking at one right now to buy and I just wanted to know if there is anything specific I should be inspecting? I went and looked at it yesterday, its an 05' cummins with the 6 speed. 115k on the clock. Its in really good shape other then a few little things. He has a AFE cold air intake thing on it and he said it has a 4" exhaust but I thought they had a 4" exhaust stock? He also has some kind of programer on it that I need to get more info about. No gauges so im a little worried.

I have been reading about the posibility of dusting the motor and scoring the cylinder walls by running an aftermarket air filter and running a programer without gauges can cause low fuel pressure at the rail if you rod on it. Is this something I should be pulling hair out about or is it more like a light switch problem that will either be broken or not? Im also going to ask him how often we changed the fuel filter. What do you guys recomend for fuel filtration on these things? Links would be awesome.

Im coming from the 7.3L ford world, this is a little different animal.

ANYTHING else I should know before I buy a CR post up. I need all the help I can get!! Thanks!

Old 01-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New to Cummins

I traded my 01 2500 for my 2004.5 3500 last summer and the first thing I did was get a Smarty jr programer set on level 2 and level 2 for towing. Unlike my old Edje with Attitude chip the Smarty doesn't seem to raise egt temps. An egt guage is a good idea though especially if you tow over 4000 lbs in mountains, in my opinion. The factory lift pumps are weak so I replaced mine with a Fass unit. These CR injectors (very expensive to replace) like clean fuel so I put a Fass pump with the 3 micron filter. I'm sure you'll get a lot of response so those are just my basics.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick26
Hey guys, I just joined last night after reading some good info about these trucks. I am looking at one right now to buy and I just wanted to know if there is anything specific I should be inspecting? I went and looked at it yesterday, its an 05' cummins with the 6 speed. 115k on the clock. Its in really good shape other then a few little things. He has a AFE cold air intake thing on it and he said it has a 4" exhaust but I thought they had a 4" exhaust stock? He also has some kind of programer on it that I need to get more info about. No gauges so im a little worried.

I have been reading about the posibility of dusting the motor and scoring the cylinder walls by running an aftermarket air filter and running a programer without gauges can cause low fuel pressure at the rail if you rod on it. Is this something I should be pulling hair out about or is it more like a light switch problem that will either be broken or not? Im also going to ask him how often we changed the fuel filter. What do you guys recomend for fuel filtration on these things? Links would be awesome.

Im coming from the 7.3L ford world, this is a little different animal.

ANYTHING else I should know before I buy a CR post up. I need all the help I can get!! Thanks!
If the AFE was properly maintained I would not worry about dusting the engine. The easiest thing to do would be pull the intake off and take a look at the turbo, if there is dirt and crap on the blades. I would find out what tuner was run on the truck first before worrying too much. Bring a 1-1/8 socket and wrench with you and pull the fuel filter out to check on the brand used and its condition. Yes 04.5 have a 4" exhaust from the factory but some people upgrade.

With respect to fuel filtration the best filter for the factory location is the Baldwin PF7977 5 microns absolute, stellar water stripping numbers...it is a great filter.

PF7977 really is a GREAT fuel filter.... Other filter data too... - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

When I had a CTD I ran a remote mount two micron fuel filter and when I sold the truck at 205K, it had all 6 original injectors...even with running a pressure box on them for over 100k.

This is what I did...and you can run this set up or something similar to it on the 05+ stock in tank pumps, no problem.

Cat fuel filter set up - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

As far as things to look at obv on a dodge check the front end, drag links, ball joints etc...

You could have the big bad, and no longer made, NV5600 or the quicker shift G56..

NV5600

G56

Old 01-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks a lot on that info man. I will bring a socket and check the fuel filter and will also look at the turbo. They guy just replaces all the front end stuff and said it was expensive. All new u joints, ball joints and steering links.

It has the NV5600. So now what?

Last edited by Maverick26; 01-19-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks a lot on that info man. I will bring a socket and check the fuel filter and will also look at the turbo.

It has the NV5600. So now what?
Many people consider the NV5600 one of the strongest trans put in a light duty truck and it has a descent aftermarket for parts, so I wouldn't worry too too much about the fact it is no longer made.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by rufushusky
Many people consider the NV5600 one of the strongest trans put in a light duty truck and it has a descent aftermarket for parts, so I wouldn't worry too too much about the fact it is no longer made.
Im buying this truck for towing, not racing. I tow over mountain passes and long hauls around 15-20 times per year and lots more local towing. My trailer is a 28' enclosed gooseneck that weighs 4600lbs dry and with my car in it about 8600lbs + gear. I will be setting it up for towing.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Im buying this truck for towing, not racing. I tow over mountain passes and long hauls around 15-20 times per year and lots more local towing. My trailer is a 28' enclosed gooseneck that weighs 4600lbs dry and with my car in it about 8600lbs + gear. I will be setting it up for towing.
Yeah that trans should be up the task, of course assuming it is in good shape.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by rufushusky
Yeah that trans should be up the task, of course assuming it is in good shape.
Do you recomend flushing the fluid? Any high performance fluids out there help make her live longer? He said it has a new generic clutch in it that was installed by a tranny shop too. We will see how long that lasts.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Just got a text back from the seller. He said its a Preditor Diablo chip that he has been runing on economy for about 2 years. He said he changes the fuel filter with the oil every 5k miles.

Last edited by Maverick26; 01-19-2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Do you recomend flushing the fluid? Any high performance fluids out there help make her live longer? He said it has a new generic clutch in it that was installed by a tranny shop too. We will see how long that lasts.
Personally, I would change all the fluids in the truck...oil, coolant, trans fluid, x-case, diffs, power steering, brake...you name it.

Good link on service specs...

Quick FYI sticky for service specs . - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

I think NV trans require a synchromesh fluid. Pennzoil (shell) makes an economical one, I know amsoil makes one too.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for the help man!

Quick Reply: New to Cummins