5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

bad fuel/ fuel pump or something else

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad fuel/ fuel pump or something else

i have an 04 dodge 2500 5.9l. since ive had it, there have been no problems with it. out of nowhere, i was driving around 35-40mph and the truck seemed to stick at that speed no matter how far the pedal went down. the rpms seem to flutter up and down a bit. this has happened mutiplie times. then with out warning at a light it stalled. i had no problems for a few hours. then the truck did it again with the rpms and stalled repeatedly. tried to get the truck a few blocks back to my house and it seemed to sputter like it wasnt getting fuel. not really sure what it might be but if anyone has any insight on what it might be, i would appreciate it. this is my first diesel truck, so dont know a whole lot about them. just trying to see if this is an issue i can fix on my own or if its something more serious

Last edited by vinnie0104; 06-14-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any codes come up, check engine light?
I'm no expert, but I'd check the fuel pressure at the injection pump for starters. Sounds like you might have lost your lift pump, so your injection pump isn't getting enough fuel.
Also check for fuel leaks. Air in diesel causes havoc, and can do all sorts of funny stuff.
Good luck man.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with DeLuzGN. It sounds like a lift pump to me....

Old 07-07-2011, 07:34 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnie0104
i have an 04 dodge 2500 5.9l. since ive had it, there have been no problems with it. out of nowhere, i was driving around 35-40mph and the truck seemed to stick at that speed no matter how far the pedal went down. the rpms seem to flutter up and down a bit. this has happened mutiplie times. then with out warning at a light it stalled. i had no problems for a few hours. then the truck did it again with the rpms and stalled repeatedly. tried to get the truck a few blocks back to my house and it seemed to sputter like it wasnt getting fuel. not really sure what it might be but if anyone has any insight on what it might be, i would appreciate it. this is my first diesel truck, so dont know a whole lot about them. just trying to see if this is an issue i can fix on my own or if its something more serious

That is a classic indication of a failing/failed FCA (fuel control actuator).

The FCA can be purchased from Cummins or Geno's Garage for about $100...takes about ten minutes to replace, its located on the back of the CP3 injection pump.

That's where I would start...

Old 08-04-2011, 11:23 AM

Having the same issue as vinnie. Truck has been down for 2+ months and counting.
Installed new pump- which didn't work, had many people look at it. Has been in the shop for 2+ weeks. They called last week and said it was fixed- a bad relay. They Took it out for a test drive and it quit running again. A week later they call and it say it might be the FCA.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a way to check the FCA?

Old 08-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Don't Know, But...

Originally Posted by 0331grunt
Is there a way to check the FCA?
I consider anything less than around $100 to be an investment in spare parts if it takes less than 10 minutes to install and ends up not being the problem after all.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed- change out the fca. That will most likely cure the problem. DON'T buy it from Dodge though, Cummins sells it for $100.00, Dodge for $250! You'll need the engine i.d. number off of the driver's side valve cover to get the correct part.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Diesel Fan

i appreciate the help guys. after messing around a bit it threw a code. it ended up beenig a burnt lift pump. Went and ordered a new one from fass and that fixed all the problems i was having. its been running awesome since

Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Now get a fuel pressure gauge installed so we don't have to go through this again next time.

(I need to stop assuming people have the obvious/simple stuff covered)

Originally Posted by vinnie0104
... and it seemed to sputter like it wasnt getting fuel.

Quick Reply: bad fuel/ fuel pump or something else