Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   bad fuel/ fuel pump or something else (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/78130-bad-fuel-fuel-pump-something-else.html)

vinnie0104 06-14-2011 04:00 PM

bad fuel/ fuel pump or something else

i have an 04 dodge 2500 5.9l. since ive had it, there have been no problems with it. out of nowhere, i was driving around 35-40mph and the truck seemed to stick at that speed no matter how far the pedal went down. the rpms seem to flutter up and down a bit. this has happened mutiplie times. then with out warning at a light it stalled. i had no problems for a few hours. then the truck did it again with the rpms and stalled repeatedly. tried to get the truck a few blocks back to my house and it seemed to sputter like it wasnt getting fuel. not really sure what it might be but if anyone has any insight on what it might be, i would appreciate it. this is my first diesel truck, so dont know a whole lot about them. just trying to see if this is an issue i can fix on my own or if its something more serious

DeLuzGN 06-15-2011 06:54 PM

Any codes come up, check engine light?
I'm no expert, but I'd check the fuel pressure at the injection pump for starters. Sounds like you might have lost your lift pump, so your injection pump isn't getting enough fuel.
Also check for fuel leaks. Air in diesel causes havoc, and can do all sorts of funny stuff.
Good luck man.

justinram 07-05-2011 06:27 PM

I agree with DeLuzGN. It sounds like a lift pump to me....

steved 07-07-2011 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by vinnie0104 (Post 763743)
i have an 04 dodge 2500 5.9l. since ive had it, there have been no problems with it. out of nowhere, i was driving around 35-40mph and the truck seemed to stick at that speed no matter how far the pedal went down. the rpms seem to flutter up and down a bit. this has happened mutiplie times. then with out warning at a light it stalled. i had no problems for a few hours. then the truck did it again with the rpms and stalled repeatedly. tried to get the truck a few blocks back to my house and it seemed to sputter like it wasnt getting fuel. not really sure what it might be but if anyone has any insight on what it might be, i would appreciate it. this is my first diesel truck, so dont know a whole lot about them. just trying to see if this is an issue i can fix on my own or if its something more serious

That is a classic indication of a failing/failed FCA (fuel control actuator).

The FCA can be purchased from Cummins or Geno's Garage for about $100...takes about ten minutes to replace, its located on the back of the CP3 injection pump.

That's where I would start...

Dusean 08-04-2011 11:23 AM

Having the same issue as vinnie. Truck has been down for 2+ months and counting.
Installed new pump- which didn't work, had many people look at it. Has been in the shop for 2+ weeks. They called last week and said it was fixed- a bad relay. They Took it out for a test drive and it quit running again. A week later they call and it say it might be the FCA.

0331grunt 08-05-2011 08:24 AM

Is there a way to check the FCA?

NadirPoint 08-05-2011 09:35 AM

Don't Know, But...

Originally Posted by 0331grunt (Post 782904)
Is there a way to check the FCA?

I consider anything less than around $100 to be an investment in spare parts if it takes less than 10 minutes to install and ends up not being the problem after all.

dieseldean 08-05-2011 12:18 PM

Agreed- change out the fca. That will most likely cure the problem. DON'T buy it from Dodge though, Cummins sells it for $100.00, Dodge for $250! You'll need the engine i.d. number off of the driver's side valve cover to get the correct part.

vinnie0104 08-10-2011 08:09 AM

i appreciate the help guys. after messing around a bit it threw a code. it ended up beenig a burnt lift pump. Went and ordered a new one from fass and that fixed all the problems i was having. its been running awesome since

NadirPoint 08-10-2011 08:59 AM

Now get a fuel pressure gauge installed so we don't have to go through this again next time. :tttt:

(I need to stop assuming people have the obvious/simple stuff covered)

Originally Posted by vinnie0104 (Post 763743)
... and it seemed to sputter like it wasnt getting fuel.