5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch

Is it possible to instal a clutch for a nv5600 into a nv4500 if you have the bigger input shaft? I came across a double disc south bend out of an 05 that the guy installed it but didn't like how grabby it was. I generally don't even like the idea of putting a used clutch in my truck even though it's only slightly used. But I saw the price and curiousity struck so I figured I'd ask. And this is the first place I came to when I saw it so I haven't even research it. Thanks for any help!

Old 02-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts
Default Re: Clutch

You will need a Flywheel and Starter Spacer

The following users liked this post:
Ambitious (02-13-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While talking about clutches, I NEED a new clutch. I am running a smarty intake and exhaust, and pull/haul heavy loads a lot. What is the best clutch for me. I am not wild about south bends because of how grabby/ unstreetable they are. Any ideas? Sorry for barging in on someone elses trend.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I just installed my first south bend dd 3250 and it works great. It is a little grabby and hard to back up trailers, but once you get used to it you are fine. It took about 10 hours and as Luke said you are going to need the flywheel, spacer and hyd upgrade. It wasn't too bad to install although I have the G56 though.

It looks like it is just four bolts and a seal to install the input shaft kit. You'll have to do that to install the clutch so I hope he includes it. Make sure it is not warn too much along with the clutch disks, flywheel and pressure plate and you should be good to go. I got mine from some dude on cl for $800 and it was brand new in the box...

Whatever you guys decide to do remember to take your time tightening the pressure plate bolts because if not it will chatter even more than they already do and it will lead to more problems. Good luck!

Ambitious (02-13-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Matt5005
While talking about clutches, I NEED a new clutch. I am running a smarty intake and exhaust, and pull/haul heavy loads a lot. What is the best clutch for me. I am not wild about south bends because of how grabby/ unstreetable they are. Any ideas? Sorry for barging in on someone elses trend.
It's no problem. I'm just interested in the southbend because I don't mind the grabby part as I don't pull that much anymore and I've heard they were extremely durable clutches. I mean I understand any clutch can be torn up if not installed or used correctly but everyone has a preference. I have a friend that just installed a valair DD and he pulls a gooseneck trailer with a bobcat loaded plus other stuff typically every weekend and a couple times during the week plus it's his daily driver. He said he likes it and I drove it this weekend. It seemed pretty smooth and considerably quiet. So you might look into valair clutches if that sounds more reasonable for drivability for you.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by hydroshok
I just installed my first south bend dd 3250 and it works great. It is a little grabby and hard to back up trailers, but once you get used to it you are fine. It took about 10 hours and as Luke said you are going to need the flywheel, spacer and hyd upgrade. It wasn't too bad to install although I have the G56 though.

It looks like it is just four bolts and a seal to install the input shaft kit. You'll have to do that to install the clutch so I hope he includes it. Make sure it is not warn too much along with the clutch disks, flywheel and pressure plate and you should be good to go. I got mine from some dude on cl for $800 and it was brand new in the box...

Whatever you guys decide to do remember to take your time tightening the pressure plate bolts because if not it will chatter even more than they already do and it will lead to more problems. Good luck!
This is the posting on craigslist down bellow. I haven't called the guy yet but the pic with the add just shows the flywheel, clutch assembly, throwout bearing, and clutch lever. The pic isn't close or clear enough to see the discs real well unfortunately. To buy the imput shaft would only be like $400. But buying the clutch used I'm forfeiting the warranty that would come with a new one and 4000 miles isn't a whole lot for one of these clutches but it also depends on how he drove it for those 4000 miles. I wanted to think about it over the weekend. I'm gonna call him tomorrow but seemingly the more I think about it the less interested I am in entertaining the idea of the used clutch deal.

"I have a SouthBend dd 3250 clutch for a 04-06 dodge cummins NV5600. I had it on my truck for 4,000 miles and didnt like it so i down graded. It is complete flywheel to clutch
lever, also comes with flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts, and alighnment tool. Im asking $600 firm ***Price Dropped**, I paid $1500 new for it"

Last edited by Ambitious; 02-13-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

That is not a bad price. Call him and take a look at it. If he knows you are serious then he might work with you. I'd just say the input shaft is going to cost me $400 and I could get a brand new one for $1300. What is the best you can do for me? That is not a lot of miles for one of these so give it a chance.

Ambitious (02-27-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love mine id go for it but make sure you get the hydraulic up grade

Ambitious (02-27-2011)
Old 02-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Diesel Fan

Sorry guys I hadn't had a chance to update. I went and looked at the clutch last Friday and I bought it. He was pretty stiff on the price but I got it for $575. The flywheel still has most of the factory machining on the face and the clutch discs look good. Thanks for the help and the little push. Now I just have to get the spacer, hyd upgrade, and input shaft (deciding on standard or billet) and itll be good to go.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

good luck!