24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

new cummins owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new cummins owner

hey guys new cummins owner here. have a few questions an any advise, help, suggestions all welcome. I bought a 01 dodge 3500 has just over 135k on it really sharp truck. its bone stock I'm looking for a few upgrades that will make it more reliable, preform a little better an maybe get a few more mpg. not looking for anything major. im in the parses of making it into a welding truck so may have to do sum traveling an what not just try to make a little more horse power an reliability. got an oil like cant figure out where its coming from so probably gonna have to address that first but im looking for input suggestions an anything else thanks guys

Old 09-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Is it auto, 5speed, or 6speed? Where does the oil drip from (front drivers side, ect)? The first thing that should be done is a fuel pressure gauge. If you are planning on a chip or programmer you will need an aftermarket lift pump on first if it hasn't already been upgraded.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

0-30psi mechanical fuel pressure gauge..

then the usual gauges...0-60psi boost, EGT, and trans temp if its an auto...

upgrade the lift pump to a 95GPH if you plan on keeping under 500hp or 150GPH if you plan on upgrading beyond 500hp.

the rest depends on how much your goal power is really...

Old 09-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Diesel Fan

6 SPD. The oil puke bottle was real nasty. I think that maybe what it was from. I think 500 horse would be great . But never no I may go more. It will be a slow build. I'm just looking for sugesstions an improvements but I'm gonna slowly build it up.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Diesel Wrench

most likely....

the fix is a PITA, so most guys like me just run a long hose down to the axle and let it drip.

the fix = delete the PCV on the timing cover and plug it off, and replace your tappet cover behind the injection pump with a 12v tappet cover so the PCV is on the side of the motor...keeps the timing gears from pumping oil up to the PCV...

500hp for your truck will require huge injectors and twins, or an injection pump swap.

HOVP44 injection pumps have a lot of trouble breaking the 500hp barrier.

SOVP44s break that barrier with greater ease...

so for an easy 500 I would say:

fass150
gauges
62/71/14 turbo (or a 63/68/14, or twins)
SOVP44 swap
7x.010 injectors
edge comp hot unlocked.
south bend or valair double disc clutch with HD clutch hydraulics
ARP head studs
110# valve springs and HD push rods.

with those mods it will be powerful AND reliable.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Diesel Fan

I'm think might just stay under 500 horse its just a welding truck. Don't think I need to go quit that far into.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Diesel Wrench

7x.011 injectors, HE351VGT + fleece controller, head studs just for insurance against blowing a head gasket. and an edge + clutch and HD clutch hydraulics...

oughta put ya where you want...

you''ll still need gauges and the fass lift pump as well... those are required for ANY mods...

Old 09-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Diesel Fan

Not surewhat the he351vgt + fleece control is im guessing turbo? I'm new to sum of this stuff. An probably go with the gauges an lift pump first? An what exactly is the HD clutch hydraulics sorry for all the questions but like I said sum of this stuff is new to me.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Diesel Wrench

HE351VE = Variable Geometry Turbo. it has vanes inside the exhaust side that start off closed down to focus exhaust on the turbine wheel causing it to spool like a small turbo, and when the engine reaches higher exhaust pressures, the vanes open up to allow more flow like a larger turbo making the turbo more efficient. since this turbo is computer controlled by the 6.7L engines they came on, you need an aftermarket controller to operate the vanes. That is where the fleece controller comes in...it is a stand alone controller that controls the turbo based on your engine load.

yes definitely gauges and lift pump first.

HD clutch hydraulics = complete replacement hydraulic system for your clutch. so new heavy duty master cylinder, new heavy duty slave cylinder, and the lines and reservoir that link it all together.

the HD hydraulics give more pushing power against the clutch fork making it easier to depress a heavier pressure plate.

upgraded clutches tend to have much heavier pressure plate loads against the clutch disc...

for example my pressure plate puts 3,600lbs of force against the clutch discs and flywheel...doesn't mean it weighs that, but it has that kind of spring load on it...

Last edited by jigabop; 09-19-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Diesel Fan

will I be alright putting exhaust on first before I put the lift pump on? my mom is getting Christmas stuff an has like 200 bucks left for being done an I can get exhaust for a lil over 200 I have asked for money ever where else so hopefully ill have enough to buy the lift pump after Christmas. an I'm also looking at the edge cts for gauges but I'm not going to be able to buy the edge juice with attitude all at once ($978) so I was wondering can I just buy the cts then later on down the road buy the actually programmer thanks for all the help guys

Quick Reply: new cummins owner