Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

I am sure my heater core is plugged up. My truck spent most of its life in Texas. I replaced the thermostat last year and helped with the engine getting warm but I still have little heat. I have heard stories of some older Cummins ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Diesel Fan

Default Need more heat

I am sure my heater core is plugged up. My truck spent most of its life in Texas. I replaced the thermostat last year and helped with the engine getting warm but I still have little heat. I have heard stories of some older Cummins trucks having their heater hoses reversed to help with heat. I think I need to clean my heater core. Any ideas? What about CLR? I was thinking if I take the two hoses off and flush and fill the core with CLR it may help. Flushing with clean water before reattaching of course. Has anyone had luck with flushing before? What did you use? Help please. My wife is freezing. BTW the driver side set heater is not working either.

Big Bill's Sig:2001 - 2500 SLT Laramie. 285 - BFG's, 4" MBRP turbo back. 6" MBRP tip. Edge EZ.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Administrator

View Member's Albums

Reverse flush the heater core. Drain the coolant or pinch off the lines, flush the heater core with a garden hose, blow the heater core out with air, and refill. If you just pinched the lines, top off the system with pure anti-freeze to make up for the water in the heater core.

I have done this to multiple vehicles, 99% of the time it makes a world of difference.

RAW's Sig:http://www.dieselbombers.com/signaturepics/sigpic13667_9.gif
2001 RAM2500, 5.9L Cummins. EJWA CTS/Smarty, 150HP BigDawg Injectors, HotRod VP44, 5" exhaust, FASS HD150 w/Vulcan DSV, HX35/40 over S471, Colt "Big Stick" Cam, S&B CNC Intake Elbow, O-Ringed head, 110# valve springs. Built 47RE. D80 w/discs. Espar Hydronic 5.
2014 RAM2500 Larimie, BONE STOCK
Old 01-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Diesel Fan

I run the garden hose through last year both ways but I was in a rush. I was looking to bump it up a notch. How much PSI can it handle? I think I may need Chemicals.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Administrator

View Member's Albums

The rad cap is set to pop at 15psi, so at least that much pressure. Doing it with hot water may help as well. You could reverse the heater hoses, and run rad flush through the entire system. Only issue I see with that is the debris plugging the heater core has to go somewhere. Other side of the core, into the rad, somewhere like that.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Diesel Fan

Default Flushing the heater core

Maybe it is just me but every time i have flushed a radiator it will spring a leak. IMHO flushing is for newer units. If your unit is getting to the point where time and mileage is working against it just replace it. I just replaced my heater core on my 99 2500 and it took about 4 hours. Half of the time was discovering some hidden bolts. I could do it now in under two hours. Probable about 20 bolts total.

jbuck's Sig:1995 Dodge 2500 12valve 5 inck exhaust and cold air intake
1999 Dodge 2500 4X4 24valve Raptor 100 lift pump
Old 01-26-2013, 05:17 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by jbuck View Post
Maybe it is just me but every time i have flushed a radiator it will spring a leak. IMHO flushing is for newer units. If your unit is getting to the point where time and mileage is working against it just replace it. I just replaced my heater core on my 99 2500 and it took about 4 hours. Half of the time was discovering some hidden bolts. I could do it now in under two hours. Probable about 20 bolts total.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:12 PM

had the same problem. took out the glove box there's a vacuum valve behind there i took the rod out of the clip and wired the outside air vent shut lots of heat in the cab now at -40c
Old 02-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by denodber View Post
had the same problem. took out the glove box there's a vacuum valve behind there i took the rod out of the clip and wired the outside air vent shut lots of heat in the cab now at -40c
Old 02-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Status: shooting for world class GM mastertech by next year

this may be a dumb question but did you check the temps of intake and discaharge hoses, if the dicharge is considerably cooler then the core is fouled but if they are close then you have a air dist. issue, temp mode door

flushing does work but yes it does sometimes lead to leaking, flushing the crap out also can mean flsuhing the last bit of corrosion that was holding the leak in

im not quite sure how reversing intake and discharge can improve heat output, if anyone can enlighten me on this I would appreciate it

2 hours for R&R heater core is smokin fast, without destoying things my best time is about 4.5

good luck
scott

mytrucksmokesmorethanme's Sig:
ASE Mastertech
Chrysler Mastertech
Proud Father and Husband

submit to reddit