how do you remove fuel lines at the tank? - Diesel Bombers
Diesel Bombers
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Howdy all! This is my first post so go easy on me! I recently aquired a 1993 w250 clubcab/ auto trans/ 4x4 that had been sitting for a few years and the rats made a mess of the wiring and fuel lines etc.. Thanks to ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

how do you remove fuel lines at the tank?

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Newbie
wrenchin

   

Default how do you remove fuel lines at the tank?

Howdy all! This is my first post so go easy on me! I recently aquired a 1993 w250 clubcab/ auto trans/ 4x4 that had been sitting for a few years and the rats made a mess of the wiring and fuel lines etc.. Thanks to this site I was able to figure out how to bypass all the unneccessary stuff and start the motor and it fired on the first crank!! I have sorted almost everything out, but I need to drop the tank to repair a leaking fuel line and the wires to the taillites, and I'll be darned if I can figure out how to disconnect the lines at the tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks- Scott
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Site Sponsor
cummins

   

Default

all the ones I have seen are just hose clamped on take a pic of them
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Newbie
wrenchin

   

Default

Originally Posted by big bad diesel 416 View Post
all the ones I have seen are just hose clamped on take a pic of them
I don't have the tech knowhow to take a picture yet, but it's a plastic line with a flared end that somehow locks onto the barb that comes out of the tank.:humm Thanks- Scott
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 AM
1arock's Avatar
Diesel Enthusiast
legend in my mind

   

Default

When you look at the fitting you should see two white or gray ears sticking out of it on each side. You need to squeeze the ears together, slightly push the fitting in, and then pull it off. It's really simple once you see how they work. The whole fitting plastic clips and all will come off together. They are sealed with an oring. It always amazes me that they don't leak. Hope this helps. Rocky

1arock's Sig:"If you're gonna err, err on the stout side", my grandad. 1arock
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1arock For This Useful Post:
  #5  
Old 05-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Newbie
wrenchin

   

Default

Originally Posted by 1arock View Post
When you look at the fitting you should see two white or gray ears sticking out of it on each side. You need to squeeze the ears together, slightly push the fitting in, and then pull it off. It's really simple once you see how they work. The whole fitting plastic clips and all will come off together. They are sealed with an oring. It always amazes me that they don't leak. Hope this helps. Rocky
Thanks Rocky! I'm gonna go try again in a few minutes. Sounds like the same setup my diesel ford has, I guess maybe I didn't press or push hard enough. I'll let you know how it comes out- Scott

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Well, no luck yet. I can't see or feel any ears at the fitting. There are two holes 180 degrees from each other where the shroud goes over the connection, but I cant feel anything inside them. Anyone have a link to a picture or diagram? I'm getting anxious to get this truck up and running, but I don't want to make more work for myself by breaking something. Thanks-Scott

Last edited by 10fords; 05-23-2011 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2011, 12:21 AM
Site Sponsor
cummins

   

Default

your doing it in the blind??

drop the tank man then you can see whats going on the lines will flex you should be able to get it about 6in to a foot down then you can get at it
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to big bad diesel 416 For This Useful Post:
  #7  
Old 05-24-2011, 09:17 AM
1arock's Avatar
Diesel Enthusiast
legend in my mind

   

Default

Originally Posted by 10fords View Post
Thanks Rocky! I'm gonna go try again in a few minutes. Sounds like the same setup my diesel ford has, I guess maybe I didn't press or push hard enough. I'll let you know how it comes out- Scott

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Well, no luck yet. I can't see or feel any ears at the fitting. There are two holes 180 degrees from each other where the shroud goes over the connection, but I cant feel anything inside them. Anyone have a link to a picture or diagram? I'm getting anxious to get this truck up and running, but I don't want to make more work for myself by breaking something. Thanks-Scott
The release tabs are inside those holes you see. Are you close to a napa or o'riellys, they they have replacement fittings for those ends. They really are simple and I suggest you go look at one of the replacement fittings to see how it works, ( I think I'm not doing a good enoigh job describing them). They should be two different size lines maybe decide which one you are going to do first and go ahead and buy that fitting just in case you do ruin it. If tou don't it can be returned but if you have it you more than likly won't need it
good luck, Rocky
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1arock For This Useful Post:
  #8  
Old 05-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Newbie
wrenchin

   

Default

I just got done looking at a diagram of quick disconnect fittings on the internet and I have a better idea of how it works now. I know this is a simple thing, but I just haven't been able to get them off! I live in the boonies and the nearest parts are an hour away so I'm hoping to do it without breaking anything. I'm going out now to try again so wish me luck. Scott

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Got it done by dropping the tank and taking the lines off on the ground. Even then it was tough to push the ears in to release the fitting Of the 10 or so wires in the harness all but one was chewed through! I soldered everything back together and now I have all lights working, a working fuel guage, a low fuel lite, and even antilock brakes Life is good. Thanks for all the help. Now I'm gonna go shoot some rodents-Scott

Last edited by 10fords; 05-24-2011 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Diesel Fan
out of control with new truck.

   

Default

Drop the tank, It's easy when you can see it.
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.

Copyright And Legal Notice Links Of Interest


Diesel Bombers ® - All Content Protected Under Intellectual Property Rights Law of Registered Trademarks
Reg. No. 3,494,401 Cls. 100, 101 & 104 Under Int. Cl. 38
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK WE HOLD NO LIABILITY FOR ANY CONTENT RIGHT, WRONG OR INDIFFERENT

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Check