1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

killer dowel pin

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:24 AM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by big red ram
what is the kdp where is it what does it do and can i do away with it
pick up the new diesel power mag theres a tech article tells you ALL ABOUT IT AND HOW TO FIX

Originally Posted by tltruckparts
i believe that was sarcasm, all 12v's are prone to the problem
yep

Old 03-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the kdp purpose do you even need it

Old 03-26-2011, 02:25 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dowel Pin Repair Kit for 94-98 Dowel Pin Repair Kit for 89-93 or 99-02

If you have heard of “dowel pin issues” on the 12 valve Cummins 5.9 with the P7100 Bosch injection pump then you may already have taken care of your truck. This dowel pin issue applies to all ’89-’98 12 valve Rams with Cummins engines and many other non-Dodge Cummins 12 valve engines. If you have not heard of the issue, or you heard yet have done nothing and you are the owner of one of these vehicles, listen up. A dowel pin failure could destroy your engine completely or do no damage at all.

The aluminum front gear housing on the 5.9 Cummins is precisely located on the front of the cast iron engine block using dowel pins. The dowel pin is about 5/16 inch diameter by 3/4inch length made of steel. During engine assembly the dowel pins are driven into holes drilled in the block such that about half their length protrudes. Matching holes in the gear housing permit a precise fit of the housing the block. Several cap screws are used to hold the housing to the block. The problem with the dowel pin occurs because the hole in the aluminum gear housing was drilled through. During engine operation vibration could cause the dowel pin to work its way out of the hole and fall into the gear case. When the dowel pin falls, it can drop right to the oil pan or land in the gear housing, causing no damage at all.

On the other hand, the pin can be caught in the camshaft gear and forced into the aluminum gear housing, breaking out a big chunk of the housing which would cause a huge oil leak and an expensive, time consuming failure.

Worst-case failure is when the dowel pin goes between the cam and crank gears, or cam and injection pump gears, breaking the gear off the camshaft. The camshaft stops rotating instantly causing valves to stop operating, leaving some valves open and some closed. The crankshaft continues to rotate for a few seconds, slamming pistons into valves, and possibly ruining block, crank, rods, cylinder head, and valve train. Almost no reusable parts in this case, a complete engine swap could be required.

If you are the owner of one of these 12 valve 5.9 engines and you haven’t taken preventive action, we suggest you take action before the vehicle strands you in a bad location and sticks you with an expensive repair bill. TST offers a “Dowel Pin Kit” that includes the parts you need to access the dowel pin, positively lock it in place so that it does not come out. Installing this kit requires removal of the engine fan shroud, fan, damper, and front gear cover to gain access to the dowel pin. Once the dowel pin is secured, a new crankshaft seal included in the kit is installed in the gear cover and all parts are reinstalled. This kit sells for $65 and takes about 4 hours to install. See DowelPina.pdffor complete installation instructions

Kit includes the parts needed to fix the famous dowel pin problem on the 1989-1998 Dodge diesels.

The following users liked this post:
Billy D (03-27-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i have heard on the cummins forum that the KDP isnt as much of a concern as the 2nd gen and newer?

Old 03-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i think that for the first gen owners, that if it hasn't happened yet it probably isn't going to. but that is just my opinion:

Old 03-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 90cummins
i think that for the first gen owners, that if it hasn't happened yet it probably isn't going to. but that is just my opinion:
would you really want to take that risk though? compare $65 and a few hours to a new engine and a lot of hours. of course it could still happen. it may just be slow or just pop out all of the sudden. $65 is cheap insurance

big bad diesel 416 (03-26-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 02:01 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Run a few searches on the other forums, can happen to any of them, anytime....

Also don't forget the 53 Block Issue.....

Old 03-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.genosgarage.com/GenosGara...erDowelPin.pdf
From what I have read the dowl pin is a problem all the way to 01 or 02. Cummins was good on not leaving parts lay around, so if it was there for the taking it was put on the engine.
http://dieseldatabase.com/dodge-cumm...-dowel-repair/
Some more info on the kdp
http://dieseldatabase.com/the-infamo...mins-53-block/
Info on 53 block

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by jdbigblue12v
i have heard on the cummins forum that the KDP isnt as much of a concern as the 2nd gen and newer?
From what I here its more of a problem on the 2nd gen 12vs. The non stepped cases have been found on 2nd gen 24vs. It is a concern on ALL 12vs. The pin killed the cam on my 91 about 6 years ago.

Last edited by bulldog77; 03-27-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes $65 is cheap insurance, but if mine does happen to do it it gives me one heck of an excuse to rebuild the motor.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:27 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Its a concern on any 12v and some 24v's. If you have not fixed it your tempting fate. I did a write up on how to fix it on teh cheap useing a coat hanger. Its in the sticky.

Quick Reply: killer dowel pin