1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Help! KDP pins too short to locate timing cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! KDP pins too short to locate timing cover

I am in the process of rebuilding a '93 inter-cooled 12v. When I dissassemblled the engine I noted both timing pins were still pressed into the block.

Now I am trying to re-attach the timing cover but can not locate the cover by the pins. The pins only stick out of the block 1/8" or so and the end of the pin has a chamfer machined on the edge. Thus, the pin doesn't fit tighly into the hole on the timing cover.

I know pins help locate the timing cover to the block .. I also know if those are locating pins they are designed to be tight during assembly and during operation of the motor. *Bolts do not locate components precisely they only clamp the flanges together*

So the question is has any one seen this before? Either my pins have been hammed too deep into the block or the hole on the timing cover is worn?

What should my next steps be replace cover? replace pins?

Old 07-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what you're describing, I'd just pull the locating pins out slightly with some vice grips. I wouldn't replace them, because the replacements will be the same size. I also don't see any way that the holes in the front cover could have become larger due to wear, etc... Pull them out a little and bolt it up. Don't forget the blue Loctite on every bolt that doesn't go into aluminum (I'd put a dab of anti-seize on those).

Lee