1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Thrust washer lost, replacement needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thrust washer lost, replacement needed

Hi all,

First time posting, long time reader. I have a Gen 1 with a VE pump on it. It was spewing fuel from between the main body and the head of the pump. I decided to try to rebuild it and wouldn't you know it I lost one of the damn thrust washers that go on the roller assembly. I have not had any luck finding a replacement for it and I have been combing the ground, workbench, under the truck and all over the engine bay with a magnet trying to find the damn thing. I've been searching other hardware sites hoping that I could find a part that was the same but not sold as a cummins/bosch part, but sadly I haven't had any luck with that either.
If anyone out there has a spare one that they would sell, or can point me in the direction of finding a replacement I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks!
T

Old 07-06-2014, 09:52 PM

Found it. Assembled the pump. No firing at all. I'm wondering if I actually screwed up and put the cam plate in out of phase or if there is something else wrong.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the key in the front and the plunger pin have to line up or it will be 180 out

The following users liked this post:
tylerjp34 (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 11:10 AM

I'm 99% sure that I put the pump together with the plunger pin oriented correctly. Is it possible to accidentally rotate the pump gear relative to the the drive gear while the pump is out and the gear housing plate is still installed?

So far I have done the following:
1. Assembled the whole system and primed it up bleeding it according to the cummins service spec.
2. Cranked it for a while without it trying to fire once.
3. Cracked the injectors and cranked it for 1-2mins then closed them again. Still nothing
4. Cracked the return line to the pump and cranked for another minute or so, closed that up and cranked it again still nothing.
5. Shot some ether in the intake and got it to fire but would die as soon as the ether burned off.

Right now my next course of action is as follows:
1. Pull the oil filler off to ensure that TDC lines up with where TDC for the pump gear should be.
2. Have someone crank while I crack the injectors 1 by 1 to not allow any backflow between opening and closing them.
3. Loosen the bolts on the IP and rocking it to the extents of its timing slot and trying it again to see if someone I skipped a tooth or something (unlikely but I would like to try before pulling the pump).
4. Pull the pump and inspect to ensure that I did put it together correctly.

I'm open to any suggestions as to stuff I could have done wrong or what I can do going forward.

I would also like to add that the engine ran perfectly and started in under 3 seconds every time before I messed with the leaky pump.

Thanks,
T

Last edited by tylerjp34; 07-08-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#2 should help a lot.

The following users liked this post:
tylerjp34 (07-08-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 08:51 AM

I found the issue: I broke the spacer between the cam plate and the hydraulic head. It broke the cam plate as well. No problem, that's easy to find. I cannot source this little spacer though. Anyone know where I could find one? It's #52 on the exploded diagram.

Attached Thumbnails Thrust washer lost, replacement needed-vepump52.jpg   Thrust washer lost, replacement needed-img_20140709_092308.jpg  
Old 07-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

its a timing spacer.. they are selective meaning they come in different thicknesses to set the timing. you will need to measure it in mm and call a pump shop with the measurement..