1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

first gen overspeeds on startup - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first gen overspeeds on startup - HELP!

Good morning every one, my name is John and i am glad to be here. A buddy told me about this forum. After years and years of looking I finally found a 1st gen dually! When i bought it and drove it home it would die when letting my foot off the gas suddenly from cruise. then when parked it would not even start. At that time my wifes health problems exasperated and eventually she passed on. as a result the truck took a backseat and has been sitting for over 2 years now.

To remedy the sudden dieing and not wanting to start problem i replaced the one foot rubber fuel line going from the steel line coming from the tank and going to the lift pump.
It starts like a champ now, BUT it tries to overspeed. it runs at what seems like high crusing speed with the rpms likely only limited by the governor. bliping the gas pedal has no effect at all, all i can do is shut it off. what could be the causes? the VE pump in my Dodge has a cold start module attached to the side of the IP that my Rabbits lack. could it be malfunctioning to the point of producing such high idle RPMs?

I need to get the truck going quickly so any advice is much appreciated!
I have an 1989 non intercooled 6bt first gen with auto. bone stock except for K&N.

Thank you,
John

Last edited by happydually; 02-16-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

1st thing is to check the throttle arm and linkage. Make sure the throttle arm is going to the idle position. Next check the throttle shaft in the throttle arm. Is it moving with the arm. What you are experiencing is not run away. If it was, your engine would self destruct.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:01 PM

ty, cougar.

IP shaft goes from stop to stop unobstructed. and returns easily to idele position due to
its own return spring and the extra coil on that secondary shaft behind the IP - plenty of force there. i believe the problem is internal. also i purposely avoided using the term runaway, since when i start it the rpm seem to be over 2000 but is consistent from start to start. and yes ruaway is way bejond that... could the cold start mechanism malfunctioning be causing this?

Old 02-17-2014, 11:16 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

No, KSB only effects timing. If the throttle shaft is turning freely with the throttle arm on the injection pump. then the problem is internal. Over on DTR, they have a tear down thread on the VE.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:39 PM

ty cougar.

wow, do you think running a can of seafoam through it might work. afterall the problem likely developed while sitting for years...

how would i run a can seafoam through the safely without causing engine damage while running at high rpms??

Old 02-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

How fresh is that k&n? how much oil is on it? I have seen guys put way to much oil on them and the truck sucks the oil in and guess what it has a high idle problem. as u know oil is just like fuel to these things. Also make sure your return spring is working. I would start it with the hood up from the outside and watch the throttle linkage as you start it, to kill it just pull the shut off wire or the key if you can.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I wouldn't run seafoam at this point. I'd fill a new fuel filter with 50/50 diesel and 2 cycle oil and run it on that.
May not be from the K&N (though I'd recommend getting rid of is ASAP), but check the inside of the air tube right off the turbo for oil. If the turbo drain line gets clogged, then the oil has to drain somewhere else. Like into the intake or exhaust side.