12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

rebuilt 47rh slipping when not in lockup

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilt 47rh slipping when not in lockup

Ok I posted on here before about this subject but found out it was working fine, Now its not. I have a 47rh transmission that I rebuilt with red eagle clutches and koleen steels, I installed a billet single disc converter good to 850 torque and a performance built valve body, It was working great you would punch it and it had nice firm shifts 1-3, One day I went to drive it and I hit the throttle and I could not feel any shifts but it seems as if the RPMs are correct though as I get up to speed but when I punch it again it seems to run out fast like its slipping or something, But heres the thing I can lock up the converter manualy and it appears to not slip any more so I called the guy I got the converter from and he dosnt think its the converter, I then pulled a small car trailer with a porsche 944 on it and it wouldnt make it up the hill it was slipping so bad but when I locked it up it seemed to do ok but started to shutter a little so I had to let off. Could it be bands? Converter? Clutches? Im lost as this was my first transmission build so I dont know it was working great for probably 3 weeks. What can I check or do I just spent $2000 on parts and now cant use my truck cause I dont want to make it worse, Thanks for any and all help and please ask any questions that may help you, Must be some 47rh experts on here, For mods all I have is a #0 plate, 4" turbo back exhaust and boost is at 25lbs other then that stock as of now.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Have you checked the Line Pressure?

Old 04-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Diesel Fan

I have not checked pressure as im not sure which port to check and what the pressure should be with the performance Valve body installed. What should I use for a guage? I bought the valve body from a company called trans-converters on ebay, 100 percent positive feedback and good reviews on line

Old 04-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Diesel Fan

Have you looked at the fluid does it look durn't or discolored in anyway? How does it smell?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Diesel Fan

Fluid looks great and didnt smell funny at all, seems to be rite where it should be level wise if anything a little high. I can brake tack the truck and it will spin the 33" boggers I have on it but it almost seems anything out of 1st gear like 2 and 3 just slip so maby that will narow it down for you, had it in 4wd and had the brake on and it had enough power to still move it foward so it appears 1st is ok and like I said lockup seems to help, have not tried OD without lockup so I might try that and see what happens.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok well from what you have said the only logical thing that could be the problem is the converter slipping excessivly. Do you have a tranny temp gauge?

Old 04-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Diesel Fan

I figured it would be the converter but the guy who built it thinks its something els. I dont know I am going to try to sell my prosche and see if I can use the money to buy a already built transmission and I need a turbo as well as mine is stock and burns oil really bad. There is not much to these transmissions so it cant be anything to difficult. I just dont want to drop 2 grand on a rebuilt transmission and find out its the converter. So if we can try to diagnois the problem first that would be great. Thanks for the replys

Old 04-12-2011, 01:12 AM
Diesel Fan

Get a tranny temp gauge and do a stall test.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Diesel Fan

I do have a tranny temp gauge, How do you do the stall test? My trucks down now as I also need a new turbo but any info I can get I will use when I replace the turbo.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

pcm/grounding i thought my tranny was going out replaced it w/ heavy duty trans still would kick out of lock up and od which at first i thought it was it slipping rpms go up no power no fun no soot..... i put in a lock up switch and od switch its now like having trip tronic but it works

Quick Reply: rebuilt 47rh slipping when not in lockup