12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

1939 Dodge 1.5 Ton Flatbed Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

That is what I was looking for!

The following users liked this post:
Rustin (10-24-2010)
Old 09-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Looks like the truck may work, with the new engine…

I had to cut plated for the engine mounts, so I used the frame off that TopKick that I had… that was thick!

Mostly welded in, After downloading these photos I decided to finish so it all looks great now.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Last edited by 1939Dodge; 09-05-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following users liked this post:
Rustin (10-24-2010)
Old 09-06-2010, 01:40 AM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

awesome project. i really love the styling on those old trucks, the curves of the body are the best part.... are you going to be able to use a large intercooler up front? it looks like the grill might not be wide enough for a stock unit.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

Awesome project dude! I'll hopefully be starting my own project here in a few weeks. Bought a 1946 Chevy 2-ton with a 12-foot grain body. Has the makings of a great resto-mod that we can actually use down on my dad's small farm. Just waiting on the DOT to get the replacement title straightend around. I'm jealous you got such a huge head start on me though ! These old trucks are a lot of fun to work on. Keep us updated.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Benjamin
awesome project. i really love the styling on those old trucks, the curves of the body are the best part.... are you going to be able to use a large intercooler up front? it looks like the grill might not be wide enough for a stock unit.
It looks like it will not fit, I am looking at an air/water intercooler. I can use that on top of the engine between the intake and the turbo as a crossover tube, then use the smaller radiator for that in the front grill area.

Originally Posted by dieseldude03
Awesome project dude! I'll hopefully be starting my own project here in a few weeks. Bought a 1946 Chevy 2-ton with a 12-foot grain body. Has the makings of a great resto-mod that we can actually use down on my dad's small farm. Just waiting on the DOT to get the replacement title straightend around. I'm jealous you got such a huge head start on me though ! These old trucks are a lot of fun to work on. Keep us updated.
Great, sounds like a similar and fun project. They are simple trucks, easy to work on... unless you want to do a swap. I assume you are going with the 6bt? Not many try it, but it can fit, just a little less room in the cab and you have to move the front radiator.

I am not as familiar with that truck you have, good luck.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Diesel Bomber

Not sure if I'm gonna go with a 6-bt or a 4-bt. Leaning toward a 4-bt due to packaging but a 6-bt is def not out of the question. Right now, it has the original overhead valve 216.5 cid I-6 making a bone-crushing "Maximum brake horsepower: 90 (rated horsepower: 29.4) Maximum torque: 174 lb-ft (net torque: 168)" and an un-synchronized 4-speed trans about the size of a car battery! . But what it lacks (severely!) in power, it makes up for in axle gearing... 6.17:1 in the 12,500 lb axle! With the stock motor or a rpm-limited diesel, that should equal a top speed of about 45mph! Whatever engine I choose, it's gonna have to have an overdrive trans behind it.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Owh, yeah! I talked with a guy who drove a truck like mine a while back... He took a trip across town picked up tons of rock and drove it back home, his engine was revved up flying at 35MPH the whole way home, after an hour or two he got home. He hated the gearing and vowed to never drive it again, he finally upgraded the rear diff and was happy.

If you are working on a 2 ton you have to go with the 6bt, also take the rear off something like what I did, get the 3.73 ratio with 22.5 Rims, disc brakes and then you can really use the thing.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Diesel Bomber

I thought about swapping the rear axle, but the brakes actually work pretty well. It has a set of new-condition, but still old 8.25 -20 tires (drives and steers) and even the original spare! It also has the original vacuum assist unit under the cab (weird-looking critter) and a couple of other factory options like: Passenger side windshield wiper, DEE-LUX heater and dash mounted defroster fan. It even has the crank-out windshield (way cool)! One factory option it doesn't have? AN OIL FILTER! That's right, the oil filter was an option, and even when they were installed, they worked minimally at best as they were just looped in a remote circuit and mounted in the firewall. Actually, the entire oiling system sucked. Only the mains were pressured by the pump. The cam was oiled by a squirter and the rods had dippers on em like a Briggs & Stratton!

Old 09-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yup, mine even had the oil filter, that is large! I am going to keep the window and crank, I was afraid of using the wheels becasue they are split rims, the trans needs to be double clutched and... Sounds like you have a good project, good to start off with everythng there then either use it or not. I am still amazed that mine had the Aux int light, all of that stuff and the fire extinguisher, guess they needed that becasue of the crappy lube system

Old 09-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Thats awsome! Thats going to be bad azz

Quick Reply: 1939 Dodge 1.5 Ton Flatbed Build thread