12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

start but won't run problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default start but won't run problem

tried all the usual cures to no avail . since it would start and sometimes run for a mile or two i ignored the fuel shutoff solenoid. but once i wired it on it ran fine. the short drives must have in its failing stage. but it never lost the ability to start and then die.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:42 PM
Diesel Fan

I'm lost on whats wrong with your truck.

You tried the usual cures to no avail, like what the fuel shut off solenoid? There can be multiple reasons the solenoid is failing like one the relay, that's closest to the firewall, can be bad. Second the blue wire that's on your battery can be corroded causing it not to get proper resistance causing the fuse in the dash to pop.

Still I'm trying to figure out your question, some things about your truck would help too. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

Old 03-14-2016, 06:55 PM

sorry for the poor communications. it was a statement not a question. i had chased "start won.t run " thru the internet and no one had mentioned fuel shutoff solenoid so i wanted to add that to usual suspects. would have saved me a lot of time. i have no power to solenoid with key off and 12 volts when key on so presume relay etc good truck runs fine if you manually close solenoid. new part on the way. thanks for your concern i am new to this truck and to mechanics in general so i will take all the help i can get.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:31 AM
Diesel Fan

Hey no problem, 12 valves are pretty much bullet proof except for the trans and body