12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

12v pump question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 12:55 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by South Tx Coal Roller
With proper adjustment you can have faster spool up and less lag. It's all explained in the links I posted.
Now what exactly is that part were you just insert a regular old washer over that plunger looking thing. What is that doing?

Old 11-18-2015, 09:05 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cummins Pride
Now what exactly is that part were you just insert a regular old washer over that plunger looking thing. What is that doing?
The following is from the thread on DieselRam.

Q: I realize changing the cup washer with a flat 8mm washer will increase the rack travel, but what exactly will i accomplish by additional rack travel; (Maybe smoother/predictable throttle response?) and what would i accomplish by sliding the whole afc housing forward?

A: Increased rack travel will give you more fueling, the smooth part comes in by adjusting the star wheel and smoke screw. The purpose of these mods is if the fuel plate and afc are full forward the governor lever does not follow the fuel plate completely, the afc foot stops it. To take full advantage of this mod the 180hp and smaller pumps could replace the rack plug with one from a mack application, it's not needed but it will give it just a little bit more fuel.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:34 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So the washer technique won't help me since I already did the mac plug.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cummins Pride
So the washer technique won't help me since I already did the mac plug.
The flat washer will still give you more travel.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:44 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

The flat washer or grinding the washer will help gain the extra rack travel of the mack rack plug. With out changing or grinding the washers the stock foot will limit your rack travel before the mack plug will.