12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Fuel gauge, done everything I can think of

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 11:01 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gauge, done everything I can think of

I have a fuel gauge that stopped working, checked gauge wiring and fuel sending unit. Sending unit is new too. I have gotten 3 good OEM gauges none made it work. Then got a glow shift fuel gauge and still isn't reading what I have in the tank it is reading 1/4 tank but i have a full tank. I have it on the right ohm setting too. Not sure what to do anymore. Any ideas?

Old 11-03-2015, 11:07 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Did your sending unit look like this?

Did you replace the whole housing? or just the potentiometer?

Old 11-03-2015, 12:04 PM
Diesel Fan

It was me it was my buddy's truck. He said he replaced the whole housing, and I saw the old one he took out.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sad 99dodge fuel guage

I had to pull the fuel tank and clean it out, what beoch. I took the sender out and wiped of and set it asid for a few weeks. The float worked smoothly so I put it back in the tank and put the tank back in the truck another beosh. I fuel up and guage didn't work, so I got the bright idea to fill the tank, it still didn't work. Now I have been driving it and keep the tank nfilled up, I hate it. The dodge fuel lines are a real pain in the arms. I don't know why the don't put a access hole in the bed, stupid dodge.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:35 PM
Diesel Bomber
Default 1997 fuel sender wiring

Here is a schematic check the ground wire from the tank sender, make sure it has no resistance. It should be a black and white wire coming from the sender, Also find the connector where the sender signal wire turns from dk blu/org to Dk/blu if you have the dash apart its pin 11 on connector A.

1997 Dodge fuel sender.pdf

Old 11-06-2015, 10:39 PM
Diesel Bomber

Any updates?

Old 11-07-2015, 12:17 AM
Diesel Fan

No updates been to busy my buddy mechanic is gonna look at it next week

Old 11-07-2015, 10:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Surprised no one has told you the $3 fix yet. Maybe it's an "old-timer" thing. What happens is that the float-arm not only travels up and down along the potentiometer, it also gets loose and wobbles from side to side, losing contact entirely . Referring to the photo upstream, see the pivot-nut at the left end of the swing-arm. Get a longer screw, matching nut, a small group of washers, and a spring similar to the one that comes from a clicking ink pen, but, a little larger. You see where I'm going with this? Stack spring and washers in such a manner as to provide constant pressure to the sweep arm, leaving it loose enough to get a measurement, but, tight enough not to break electrical contact. For good measure, you can keep the nut from backing off the longer screw by putting a vise-grip "bite" on the exposed threads of the screw. Did mine long ago, lasted about 10-12 years before some other corrosion necessitated pulling the system again and replacing another $3 worth of hardware.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:57 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by geddy's uncle
Surprised no one has told you the $3 fix yet. Maybe it's an "old-timer" thing. What happens is that the float-arm not only travels up and down along the potentiometer, it also gets loose and wobbles from side to side, losing contact entirely . Referring to the photo upstream, see the pivot-nut at the left end of the swing-arm. Get a longer screw, matching nut, a small group of washers, and a spring similar to the one that comes from a clicking ink pen, but, a little larger. You see where I'm going with this? Stack spring and washers in such a manner as to provide constant pressure to the sweep arm, leaving it loose enough to get a measurement, but, tight enough not to break electrical contact. For good measure, you can keep the nut from backing off the longer screw by putting a vise-grip "bite" on the exposed threads of the screw. Did mine long ago, lasted about 10-12 years before some other corrosion necessitated pulling the system again and replacing another $3 worth of hardware.
He put in a whole new fuel sender/pump module...
but that fix does work good!
I threaded the shaft 6-32 and used a nut on mine.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:43 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok I'll try that this weekend. U guys think it could be the circuit board of the instrument cluster?