12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Cummins turbo Diesel engine mods?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cummins turbo Diesel engine mods?

I'm in the early planning states of a 1939/40 dodge/ Plymouth truck build. I want to make a early street rod fire engine out of one by extending the box and heitining it just a little. Then chopping the roof some to get a sleek look. I want my power house of my truck to be a cummins 12v. What are some mods I could do to the engine to add to the effect. I want the pure turbo deiel sound with medium smoke, and of course lots of power. I plan on removing the turbo silencing ring and doing 5' exaust, doing something with the fuel plate ( mab a #10 from what I've read).
Any suggestions would be great thanks

Old 08-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

do a thread search .... u will learn plenty

Old 08-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 4x4manonbroke
do a thread search .... u will learn plenty
I have, I am not one of those people who look for easy info, I do reasurch of my own befor asking. My prob is that there is just so many mods that I've found and everyone seems to have their own opinion if there worth it. And if some mods work against some other mods. I'm fairly new to cummins, my dad has a 98 that he uses daily and a 98 parts truck, but we've never rly had to do anything to the engine it was all went though befor we bought it.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are no performance parts available for cummins. it is impossible to tweak cummins engines.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by moneypitk5
there are no performance parts available for cummins. it is impossible to tweak cummins engines.
Glad to see I'm going to get help here.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by moneypitk5
^He must be from Pirate.

Bowhunterking, figure out your power goal first; that will ultimate dictate injector and turbo combination...but bear in mind there is no one size fits all, especially with the amout of aftermarket that has swarmed the Cummins platform.

Do the basics for foundation:
AFC tune - free and helps keep low boost smoke in check
Gov Springs - defueling at ~2200 sucks, so drop in a 3K or 4K GSK and enjoy the extra powerband (4K's will generally require new valve springs to prevent floating)
Studs - it is an extra expense, but good piece of mind for keeping the head gasket in place
Timing - bump the timing some on the pump to get crisp throttle response and a little more rattle at idle (for that big truck sound)

and post pics of this "street rod fire engine"

Old 08-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 93_Fummins
^He must be from Pirate.

Bowhunterking, figure out your power goal first; that will ultimate dictate injector and turbo combination...but bear in mind there is no one size fits all, especially with the amout of aftermarket that has swarmed the Cummins platform.

Do the basics for foundation:
AFC tune - free and helps keep low boost smoke in check
Gov Springs - defueling at ~2200 sucks, so drop in a 3K or 4K GSK and enjoy the extra powerband (4K's will generally require new valve springs to prevent floating)
Studs - it is an extra expense, but good piece of mind for keeping the head gasket in place
Timing - bump the timing some on the pump to get crisp throttle response and a little more rattle at idle (for that big truck sound)

and post pics of this "street rod fire engine"
I will start a build trend for it, I won't be building the actual truck prob for couple years, yet. Got to finish college, and start my buisnes so I can have the $ for it. But I'll start a trend with my design plans. I'll prob start the engine mods soon as I have it already.
I want quite alot of horsepower, and I want the engine to just keep pulling (hep you know what I mean).

Old 08-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

I would start with the Studs ... then you can pull fuel plate and adjust your star wheel .... I did and i didnt get studs , in time .... leaking HG is now my new problem ... start with the studs that will give you a good foundation to start from ... then you can push the envelope as far as you can afford ... ( 12mm studs will take around 60-80 psi fairly commonly .... over 80 psi your gonna need to modify block bolt holes for 14mm studs ... usually good to liked 100 psi or so I have been told .... ) .. should be able to make a good bunch of power with around 50 psi ..... unless you want to pull EVEREST ..LOL