24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

5 speed tranny problems need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 02:12 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5 speed tranny problems need help

Just bought an 01 ram 2500 with 5 speed no problems until recently started with having to play to play with shifter to go into third no grinding and now every other time when I put it in reverse it goes in gear hard as well as it being the only gear it will go into until finally it goes into second and it shifts fine from then on really need help with this kinda been nervous about putting it into reverse as I don't want to be left somewhere!

Old 06-21-2016, 04:48 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Unless the clutch is not disengaging properly or not in adjustment, then sounds like the friction material on the syncronizers is worn or the syncro teeth are burred up excess clearance on the synchros tend to be the issue IMO. Once they start doing that I have tried different fluids and even royal purple with no luck.
I have had no problem with failure of the tranny because of a synchro but it gets hard to get in gear.
I used to do the first gear to reverse shuffle just to get it in gear, and shifting on the fly was like waiting for that sweet spot rpm moment in a non sychro trans like a big truck.
Hope this helps.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:08 PM
Diesel Fan

Thank you jet a fuel any information really helps just graduated and this truck has been my daily and from what you described seems to be the problem I guess I'll have to save up a little for repairs but as for now the only thing else is that in reverse the gear it will go into easily is fourth it whines but doesn't go in first and won't even go into second grinds a little if you try to force it into third.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:53 AM
Diesel Bomber

Sounds like maybe the clutch isn't disengaging completely does it jerk some when you finally get it in gear? That could be from a worn clutch/ Pressure plate assembly or from what the pictures below show a fried throw-out bearing and a worn clutch release fork. here are some pictures from a high mileage NV4500.

This is a picture of a **** (on the left ) that the clutch fork sits on these can break and cause play in the clutch release assembly.

This is a worn out throw-out bearing and the fork also had bad grooves an had to be replaced.

This is with the tail housing off on a 2wd truck and you are looking at 5th gear and its syncro and shift fork. Interesting note that the large nut on the output shaft is weak and there are Dodge service bulletins to install an upgraded Nut that includes set screws and allen key locking features. (Had one fail lost fifth gear once) still drove home in fourth woooo hooo.

Close up of the **** or stud. and the fork assy.

This is what holds the fork to the ball stud kinda cheesy IMO.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Jet A Fuel; 06-24-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:37 AM
Diesel Bomber

You should check the fluid level also, there is a plug on the left side of the cast iron case you should be able to touch fluid if you stick your finger in there and just below the plug hole.
You can take the side cover off easily with five bolts and drain the fluid from there and re-service it with some synchromesh royal purple or similar fluid see if that helps. The cover uses gasket sealer no gasket required.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:18 AM
Diesel Fan

Hey man thanks a lot you have been very helpful and it definitely seems to be the clutch as you stated and it's great to hear that fifth gear nut didn't mess up your tranny I forgot to mention my truck has 243 344 on the od looks I'll try replacing the clutch and addressing the fifth gear nut issue soon I haven't drove the truck in a week but I'll be sure to check the fluid like you said I'm glad I don't have to have the trant rebuilt I'll try to have the clutch replaced and the tranny gone over next week or after and Ill let you know how it goes once again thank you jet a fuel for a thorough describing especially with the pictures I wish you the best and I'll let you know how it goes ����������������

The following users liked this post:
Jet A Fuel (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 04:58 AM
Diesel Bomber
Default NV4500

If you plan on keeping the truck and do a lot of towing with it I would recommend a 13" flywheel and single disk kevlar clutch upgrade (Valair or Southbend) the kit it is more expensive but better in the long run.
If your going to go stock again Brute force makes a good stock clutch.

Note
If you go with the upgrade it includes a new clutch,flywheel, Pressure plate, pilot bearing,starter spacer block,stronger clutch master and slave cylinder assembly.

13" Valair flywheel on the Left.<br/>stock flywheel on the Right.

Valair 13" Kevlar single disk great clutch for hauling under 12,000 lbs. If you want bigger better upgrade to a NV5600 of G56 trans cause a NV4500 will eventually fail pulling heavy loads over 12000 over time IME.

Valair 13" Pressure plate on the left. The old Brute force aftermarket 12" on the right

Last edited by Jet A Fuel; 06-25-2016 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:48 AM
Diesel Fan

I do plan on keeping the truck but if you suggest a newer clutch then it's a must and how hard would it be to replace the clutch I've replaced a radiator and flushed a transmission [auto 48re 3rd gen] but never fooled with a manual in fact this is my first standard truck if I get the upgrade I'll need to save up as for a a 6 speed maybe I could trade or just stick with what I got I really like this truck and btw I've been smelling tranny fluid lately but can't spot any leaks on the case I would have my grandfathers friend /go to legit side mechanic replace the clutch but just he just lost his son a couple days ago and said after tomorrow he won't be doing anymore mechanic work besides I feel bad asking him so soon to do it so I'd like to do it on my own but don't want to make things worse I cant ford a rebuild or tranny at the moment so I want to minimalize costs by doing it on my own (note) the most [I haul is a 25ft cattle trailer bout 20 miles every other month] thank you jet a fuel!

Old 06-26-2016, 01:13 AM
Diesel Bomber

Your welcome maybe there is someone on here close to you who can help. I live in Carrollton Ga but work overseas so hard to find time. A clutch can be hard to do if you have never done one. You could get a Chilton's or Haynes manual that will help. I would go with a stock clutch that should work good for you.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:35 AM
Diesel Fan

Once again thank you you've been a great help and Id I like to keep in touch on how things are going along the way and hopefully someone close by can help I'm located in beeville tx so we're aways apart although you said it could be done I think it's best I wait on any diy's I guess for now I can save up and get the clutch and find someone willing to help all the auto shops here will charge the installment of the clutch x3 literally and Ive had real bad experience with all of them before such as a/c replacement that went out the next month (work truck not personal) and I really wouldn't want to take my truck to anyone here at all besides a legit guy well anyway Jet A Fuel I wish you the best man and you've been very very helpful and explanatory with my questions and as far as stock the most is like to get is an exhaust and an aftermarket lift pump as far as I know mine is still stock yikes well anyway best wishes and many many thanks my friend!!!