Ford Powerstroke 03-07 6.0L Discussion of 6.0 Liter Ford Powerstroke Turbo Diesels

If spray tinting your heads and tails here are some good directions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If spray tinting your heads and tails here are some good directions

If you plan on doing VHT Niteshades to your headlights and taillights here is a good way to do it where it won't come out all crappy and have you disappointed. I've painted cars before so I can at least give a few good tips on this.

Start by sanding down your lights with 2000 grit sandpaper. (Will not cause deep sanding streaks but will give enough to get a good bite for the paint.) After you have covered the whole lens, you will want to clean the lights off to get all the dust off. After that, use your can of VHT and (with a steady hand) spray the edges of the lights first. IMPORTANT:Spray before the lights and don't let go of the nozzle until past the light, this makes sure there are no runs. Then spray the rest of the lights in the same straight across motion until completely covered with your first coat. Wait 5 minutes and do the same steps to apply the second coat. 5 minute wait to apply the 3rd coat. Your discretion of how many coats you want to do. I advise no more than 3 cause they will be DARK by this point. After your final coat is applied wait 10 minutes and apply your first coat of clear coat. Start with edges as before. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT ANY BUBBLES. Wait 5 minutes again and apply 2nd coat. You can wait 5 minutes and apply as many coats as you want. I always do 4 and it comes out gorgeous. After you have applied your final coat, wait until they are 100% dry. Once they are completely dry you will want to take your 2000 grit sand paper again and lightly wet sand the lights to get the orange peel off. After this is completed, your final step will be to take some good buffing compound and buff the HELL out of the lights to give them the final shine. They will look great.

Here is links to the TWO videos on youtube if you prefer a visual of the process as opposed to the writing.

HOW TO TINT YOUR TAIL LIGHTS WITH VHT NITESHADES (VIDEO 1 OF 2) - YouTube Video 1
HOW TO TINT YOUR TAIL LIGHTS WITH VHT NITESHADES (VIDEO 2 OF 2) - YouTube Video 2

Highly recommend to watch both videos.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:41 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 630 Likes on 510 Posts

Good post. I need to go back and wet sand mine, the finish came out a little rough.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Do that and a good buff and they'll be gorgeous

Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I wonder if 1 coat of VHT will give my badges a nice light gray tint that will still let the chrome shine through.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I would probably say no to that Diesel. With just one coat it will most likely look kind of spotted. Unless you spray it thick. Then that'll just defy the purpose. I'm not 100% sure on saying no. But you could definitely give it a test run on a badge and just see how it does.