Diesel In Distress - Support Ticket Need Help ? Broke Down Or in Urgent Need Of Assistance Post Here , Thread Will Be Priority and You have the ability to close your own thread when its fixed . If You Do Not Reply in 10 Days your thread will be closed as we will assume its fixed , You can Reopen YOUR Discussion Topic if you wish .

Bleeding system without bleed screws

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bleeding system without bleed screws

I have just replaced a mechanical lift pump and fuel filter in my 1991 Dodge Ram 5.9L (that has been converted to run W.V.O. as well) and there are no bleed screws.

How do I bleed the system?!

I have been manually pumping it for about 10 minutes and still no fuel coming out....

Old 12-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1991 Dodge Truck D 350 Pickup L6-359 5.9L DSL Page 1
Fuel Delivery and Air Induction: Service and Repair Fuel System - Bleeding

Controlled venting is provided at the injection pump through the fuel drain manifold. Small amounts of air introduced by changing the filters or injection pump supply line will be vented automatically, if the fuel filter is changed in accordance with the instructions.

However, manual bleeding will be required if:
^The fuel filter is not filled prior to installation. ^Injection pump is replaced. ^High pressure fuel line connections are loosened or lines replaced. ^Initial engine start up or start up after an extended period of no engine operation.
LOW PRESSURE LINES AND FUEL FILTER - VENTING

Open the bleed screw.
1991 Dodge Truck D 350 Pickup L6-359 5.9L DSL Page 2

Operate the hand lever until the fuel flowing from the bleed screw fitting is free of air. Tighten the bleed screw.
Torque Value: 8 N-m [6 ft-lbs]
NOTE: If the lever feels as though it is not pumping, rotate engine approximately 90 degrees and proceed.
CAUTION: The hand priming lever must be returned to the lock position after priming. The lever will be in the up position when locked.
INJECTION PUMPS - VENTING

WARNING: It is necessary to put the engine in the "run" position: Because the engine may start, be sure to follow all safety precautions. Use the normal engine starting procedure.
CAUTION: When using the starting motor to vent the system, do not engage it for more than 30 seconds at a time: Wait two (2) minutes between engagements.
Air can also be vented through the fuel drain manifold line by operating the starting motor.
HIGH PRESSURE LINES - VENTING

WARNING: A fuel leak from high pressure fuel line has sufficient pressure to penetrate the skin and cause serious bodily harm.
Loosen the fittings at the injector, and crank the engine to allow entrapped air to bleed from the line. Tighten the fittings.
1991 Dodge Truck D 350 Pickup L6-359 5.9L DSL Page 3

WARNING: Do not bleed a hot engine as this could cause fuel to spill onto a hot exhaust manifold creating a danger of fire.
Start the engine and vent one line at a time until the engine runs smoothly.

theres pictures to but id rather not go thru all the time copying them please tell me u dont need them

The following users liked this post:
BigFriendly (12-09-2010)