General Diesel Related Discussion for All General Diesel Topics , No Make or Year Specific Discussions , These Topic Should be General Diesel Related

Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Question Need help!

ok so i am going to run my truck at houston race way park in two weeks. I have never ran on a drag strip before and i was needing some advise on wat to do and wat not to do.

sould i do the boosted launch in 2wd or 4 high?
how much boost do i want to have when i let off the brake?
And if i do a 4wd launch when do i shift back to 2wd and will the shifting back hurt anything?

Old 10-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

well do a search on the site because there are posts you will find all about how people run at the dragstrip. you will find alot of info there. unless you have a built tranny i would advise against a boosted launch...

Old 10-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

ok thanks. is the trany in my truck that shity that it cant handle a 200 horse tune?

Old 10-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

its not about your trans being reliable or not...you could probably get away with a few boost launches but that added hp and tq will put alot of un thought of stress on it...none of the manuf make one to hold much more power then their drawing boards specs. but with a little green you can definately make one

Old 10-13-2010, 11:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yea but i am 20 years old and driving a 10 thats were all my green goes that and drive a good ways to see the gf and my apartment

Old 10-14-2010, 01:05 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by PSD-BLACK-CLOUD
yea but i am 20 years old and driving a 10 thats were all my green goes that and drive a good ways to see the gf and my apartment
Save your truck! no hard boosted launches. Save your cash when you can and do it right. Thanks for the thread! Use the search tool and Keep asking questions!

Old 10-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

yea i am going to order guages for it here prety soon and i guess i will do a low boost launch till i save up enough in case i break something. the trany in my 6.0 was a hoss though i just wish the engine would have been cuz it was paid off.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by PSD-BLACK-CLOUD
yea i am going to order guages for it here prety soon and i guess i will do a low boost launch till i save up enough in case i break something. the trany in my 6.0 was a hoss though i just wish the engine would have been cuz it was paid off.
Well its the same tranny in your 6.4 that the 6.0 had. Those Torqshifts are pretty strong, I've seen a couple handle nearly 600HP stock for 10's of k's of miles.

Oh and just my advice, if you want to be really competitive, ditch the Superchips and go get a Spartan Tuner. 310 Tune and a good launch and you should be able to hit high 12's, and low 13's pretty easily