Chevy/GMC 6.2L and 6.5L Discussion of Chevy and GMC Trucks with 6.2L and 6.5L Diesel Engines

New member. 6.5 TD too much smoke! help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member. 6.5 TD too much smoke! help!

ok so im alright with diesels, i know most of the terms and i can do alot of mechanical work. i picked up a 94 6.5 td. the things done for sure are, 98 lower end, new turbo ( not sure what kind came from ssdiesel) its putting out 18 psi according to the boost gauge? weird i think. ssdiesel ecm with the "80 horse chip".....ssd super hot too close to the engine IMO "cold air intake" 3"-4" down pipe and 4 all the way back, boost, trans and egt gauges. bassically all the crap ssd sell is on this truck. oh and marine injectors. all these things have 500 miles on them, i bought the truck from a friend and the milage is a fact. he could not get it to run right so i got it on the cheap. ok now the problem, is smokes way to much not only on start up, but all the time. its kind of a gray smoke with a little black. the head gaskets are 3 days old. it runs kind of rough with a knock like sound to it. the lower end was tight when put in the truck. i think the knock noise is the TC bolts and have nothing in common with the smoke issue. previously the original 6.5 had the rod bearings siese up 200 miles after all the ssd add ons. it also had the same smoking too much issue. please help me worth through all of this guys!!! TIA!

Old 04-26-2010, 12:51 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

The smoke could be a few things and the knock may be a t/c but my guess is that it is not and is related. I would say you probably have a injector laying down and if they came from ss diesel it would not surprise me I don't hear a lot of good about them. There is a couple of ways you can check them. One is with the engine running loosen one injector line at a time until the knock stops. The other is pull them out and have them tested thats the on sure way to check them but if you have them out I would change them to a Bosch injector. I have heard to many horror stories to run cheaper injectors.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:24 AM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

good luck

Old 04-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

could also be timing. mines doing the same and i believe mines a little advanced

Old 04-26-2010, 01:59 PM

yeah i tried to talk my friend into the bosch injectors also, but he put those in there and sadly they were better than the old ones! now when i loosen the lines is it going to be spraying diesel fuel all over? i dont want to have any suprises! . also which bosch injectors would be suggested? im almost certain its running 10 more psi of boost over the stock 7-9. the gauges says so and its a hell of alot louder with more power than it had before. and the last question, how do i retard the injection pump timing on these trucks? im more of a cummins guy i have noticed the 6.5 has about one thing in common with the cummins and thats being a diesel .

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

one other thing i was wondering. how harmful is any of this to my truck? it doesnt seem to do it all the time. its much warmer today than yesterday and it only made the knocking noise today sometimes while it was at idle but not all the time. yesterday it did it alot more.

Last edited by 6chevy9; 04-26-2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 171 Likes on 90 Posts

I normally hang out in Cummins land, so I'm not sure about all the ins and outs of the 6.5, but sounds to me like it could be a boost leak.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:39 PM

not to say your wrong, but out of curiosity why do you think that would be the problem? it dosent smoke black its more gray and mostly at idle. plus it runs really high on the boost gauge. so it doesnt make sence to me why leaking boost would cause the issues that im having. i would think leaking boost would cause lack of power and excessive black smoke constantly with some sort of SES light code which are none of my symptoms. but i dont know that for sure its only what i think would be caused by a boost leak.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

When you crack the lines it should blow diesel fuel every where. I would just run stock injectors in it. If it was me and it is fuel knock I would not drive it. I could possibly in the worst case scenario wipe out the bottom end and then things would get real expensive.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 124 Likes on 117 Posts

first things first get some quality bosch injectors under there. and dont fall for the marine injector thing either. unless your running water/meth, pane, and a different turbo there useless really. go to a diesel shop and get them pop tested and shimmed to about 2100-2200 psi. important thing here is to have them all similar pop pressures.

that cold air intake from ss diesel is realy a hot air intake because it is drawing all the hot air from inside the engine bay and putting it into the engine. 1997 and up stock air intakes are the best.

18 psi on stock headgaskets and tty bolts is trouble waiting to happen. i hope you replaced those bolts with new ones because they can anly be used once because they stretch. i would suggest some arp headstuds and new headgaskest.

using a scanner like a tech2 or carcode time the engine to -1.5 or -1.94 tdco. you may need some pump tools to physcially turn the pump to get there.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:41 PM

thanks woody5 but if you had read my post you would see that i didnt choose marine injectors, someone else did. also yes there is a bigger turbo in there. and yes i already know the air intake from SSD sucks. ARP headstuds were not only hard to find, but also used on this motor. i dont need any motor building advice because had i built this motor i would have reashearched it before hand and built it right, or put a cummins in it instead. but none the less your injector scenario was helpful info that i did not know so thanks for that. thanks to everyone else also. i will try the injection pump timing first ( its free ) then loosening the injector lines and so on. any other ideas are still welcomed and would be appreciated! the truck ran great all day today so i dont think its anything too serious/ hard to fix. i also have a complete 6.2 laying around so if the motor is to fail its not a DD truck and not a big deal to tear apart.

Quick Reply: New member. 6.5 TD too much smoke! help!