General Diesel Related Discussion for All General Diesel Topics , No Make or Year Specific Discussions , These Topic Should be General Diesel Related

Anyone ever experienced a "run away diesel"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone ever experienced a "run away diesel"?

I'm talking about when the RPMs go up on it's own and keep going and you won't be turning it off with a key. Last night, I was looking at some salvages and noticed alot of diesels were burned up and some newer ones too! I just heard about the "run away" yesterday and now I'm pretty much paranoid because when it starts, you're most likely not going to stop it unless you got a fire extinguisher, jake brake, or have a manual to basically pop the clutch in a too-high-off a gear with the parking brake on. Then, it supposedly blows up if you don't stop it then burns away! So, I was just wondering if it has ever happened to any of all or if yall know of anyone that it has happen to.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

thats the first i heard of that. now im curious.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:40 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Not real common - but it does happen. Can happen if the engine sucks some combustibles into the intake. Most diesel trucks in the oil patch are required to have positive air shutoffs so this doesnt happen: RodaDeaco by AMOT Diesel Engine Safety Solutions - swing gate air shutoff valve

Yeah, the only way to stop it is to stall it or cut the fuel.

Pretty much like this:

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 11-29-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CountryGirl91
when it starts, you're most likely not going to stop it unless you got a fire extinguisher, jake brake, or have a manual

1. Not just any fire extinguisher is a good idea- I believe I heard the right extinguisher to use is a Halon type, trouble is the tree huggers in the US got real Halon banned and I dont know if the new Halotron is as good at arresting a runaway.

2. A jake brake would work, but so would an air shut-off valve. I forget who makes them but I have the bookmark somewhere...

3. Yes with an automatic getting it to stall would be really hard, but you might get it done if you can find a someone to hook to you and tow you backwards while you are in drive. Not sure if the autos in these trucks will stall like this but most would. Trouble is getting this done fast enough, when a diesel runs away it can be a pretty short trip sugar to **** if you know what I mean.

IIRC The trouble that usually causes this is when you shut the truck down too hot and it cokes the oil at the shaft seals in the turbo. When the seal goes, it can actually suck engine oil into the turbo and as you might know, yes a diesel will be happy burning oil, even its own oil to keep running.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

DR EVIL BEATS ME TO IT

Last edited by CROWN14; 11-29-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Yes. Three times. Experienced it first-hand twice and was in the general area the other time.

All three occurrences were older model 2 cycle Detroits. The design of those fuel systems had a particular fault that would allow it to happen in the event of certain part failures.

Each engine was equipped with an air shutoff, which came pretty much as original equipment on those models. Essentially it was a big air flap that shut off the airflow and starved the engine for air, killing it.

Unfortunately, due to the insane suction of the intake strokes on these engines, when the air flap was dropped it was common for the 2 cycle Detroits to suck the seals out of the supercharger and continue to run, in which case even if the emergency fuel shutoff valve closed they would also continue to run on the crankcase oil until they blew up from excessive RPM or lack of lubrication.

A "runaway", from it first starting to occur until engine shutdown or failure is rarely much over half a minute....usually they run away and are shut down within a few seconds...if the prevention devices fail to kill the engine it is best just to clear the area and let it explode....if the intake is accessible you can use a fire extinguisher, with some success but it is a hail mary at best.

I do know one rather mentally deficient individual who laid on top of a 8V92 in a yarder while it was running away to spray a fire extinguisher into the intake tube.......he saved the engine but the audience aged about 20 years due to outright fear. I love my father but at times I wonder how he lived this long.

Hope this helps,

Dan

*EDIT*....CO2 (carbon dioxide) fire extinguishers work well to do this...

Last edited by Mr. Miyagi; 11-29-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:00 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Are you sure about that???

Good info Miyagi

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 11-29-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I just hope it doesn't happen. A month or two ago, I was in one of the trucks I have (97 Dodge) and I was inside and all of sudden, I saw a fire from the engine compartment and had no idea what exactly was burning, or if it would explode, etc., but I was getting kind of worried but it burned out so the truck is all good. Not saying a runaway is what happened but the shock/fear feeling of seeing fire coming from your truck really gets to me and I'd be pretty freaked out if a run-away happened.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by CountryGirl91
I just hope it doesn't happen. A month or two ago, I was in one of the trucks I have (97 Dodge) and I was inside and all of sudden, I saw a fire from the engine compartment and had no idea what exactly was burning, or if it would explode, etc., but I was getting kind of worried but it burned out so the truck is all good. Not saying a runaway is what happened but the shock/fear feeling of seeing fire coming from your truck really gets to me and I'd be pretty freaked out if a run-away happened.
Trust me if you had a runaway, you would know it.

Even if a person knows zero nothing about automobiles, they'd know something bad was happening.

There was a fire, but now it is out...all good. I love it, you'd make a great logger, or lineman/lineperson.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yeah, ^ I know it would be obvious whenever them RPMs are on it's own and rising, getting louder and louder, while everyone around is probably going to stop and stare to see what's going on but prevention is what I would like because I don't want to ever see any of the trucks burn. Looking through some salvages was horrible but stuff happens, I guess...and it's materialistic...but still, I love my trucks, all trucks with a Cummins, or if it's a Peterbilt or Silverado.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:51 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

the fire exstinguisher to use is co2 itll chok it out

but for real thats some scarry stuff