Diesel In Distress - Support Ticket Need Help ? Broke Down Or in Urgent Need Of Assistance Post Here , Thread Will Be Priority and You have the ability to close your own thread when its fixed . If You Do Not Reply in 10 Days your thread will be closed as we will assume its fixed , You can Reopen YOUR Discussion Topic if you wish .

02 7.3L Oil Burning exhaust smell at start up

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 01:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 7.3L Oil Burning exhaust smell at start up

My 02 7.3L has a really bad burning Oil smell at startup until it warms up. Now I notice that it is using a lot of oil, no leaks. Recently had to replace a injector. The truck has good power, just a small amount of white smoke on start up not a lot. Any ideas on what this would be? 270,000 miles.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like valve guide seals leaking...with that many miles on it, its possible ...scott

Old 10-20-2016, 01:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could have another bad injector I would do a buzz test and see if any then sound week and a contribution test to see if the valve cover gaskets are working properly if a injector is weak it could be letting oil in to the cylinder mixed with the fuel allowing it to still run smooth

The following users liked this post:
Tideman68 (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 05:34 PM
Diesel Fan

I had to take it to a shop, the problem at the moment seems to be a bad O ring, I think the guy who said he replaced an injector (#2), did not install a new injector. It was a used injector. With bad O rings. I'm having all the O rings replaced on both banks.
Hard to trust anyone now days.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:54 AM
Diesel Fan

Update: It was a cool morning here on Saturday when I started the truck. Not much smoke ( I replaced two Glow plugs last year)and the burning oil smell was gone. I will be driving the truck today to monitor the oil usage. I hoping this has been rectified.