Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Rough Idle And Blue Smoke On Startup (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/7369-rough-idle-blue-smoke-startup.html)

dalton06 12-10-2007 02:42 AM

Rough Idle And Blue Smoke On Startup

usually when the truck is cold, weather the wait light comes on or not, the truck turnes over a couple more times than normal and when it does start it idle's rough for a few seconds and puffs out blue smoke. What could this be? The dealer had it for 2 days and ofcourse found nothing. :madd:They probable got the diesel guy who rode in it with me last that hated the turbo whine(what a louser, he even had a cummins)! Could this be an injector problem? What about fuel filter?

MRaynor 12-10-2007 07:16 AM

Mine does this when the fuel filter is ready to be changed. Roughly around 8-9k miles. Always clears up after a fresh filter.

dalton06 12-10-2007 07:58 PM

I asked the stupid dealer people about this and they said it was too early. Only every 20,000. I just walked out. I will get it changed soon.

Buckshotmckee 12-10-2007 11:22 PM

Here's more then likely your problem!

NUMBER: 14-003-06 REV. A

GROUP: Vehicle Performance

DATE: Approval Pending

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 14-003-06, DATED MAY 5, 2006, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.
SUBJECT:
Cummins Diesel Diagnostics

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin provides diagnostic procedures for the fuel injection system.

MODELS:

2003 - 2007 (DR/DH/D1/DC) Ram Truck (2500 / 3500)

NOTE :This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 5.9L Cummins 24-valve diesel engine (sales code ETH or ETC).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Revised diagnostic procedures are available for the following Symptom/Conditions:
^ White smoke and/or misfire after starting when the engine temperature is below 66°C (150°F).

^ Engine surges at idle

^ Engine sounds

^ Engine cranks for a long time or will not start.

SPECIAL TOOLS / EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

DIAGNOSIS:
CAUTION: Do NOT disconnect the Electronic Fuel Control (EFC) actuator or the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor while the engine is running. Damage to the rail pressure relief valve may occur.

POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

Usage of these labor operations must follow the guidelines outlined in the Global Warranty Administration Manual.
NOTE :The following diagnostic labor operations can only be used in conjunction with the main (prime) repair labor operation that corrected the condition.

FAILURE CODE:
Disclaimer :This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair.

MRaynor 12-11-2007 09:43 PM

Thanks Buckshot. :U:

Buckshotmckee 12-12-2007 09:06 PM

No problem. I had the same problem with mine until the flash was done.

steved 12-18-2007 08:06 AM

Mine did the same thing for a few months...turned out to be an injector ready to die (which did die last week).

It could also be a bare wire on the AC compressor switch (near the compressor), but IIRC, they fixed that on the 05s.

steved

scoggins 12-30-2007 10:40 PM

ya'll are making me skiddish about the 3000 mile road trip I got coming up

I have had the reflash done twice and still have the same problem at times.
It doesn't matter if the fuel filte is new or old..

DazedandConfused 12-30-2007 10:55 PM

Perhaps your grid heater is not working right then.

fellowdodger 06-27-2009 12:23 PM

I am having this same problem right now. Anyone know what it might be? Rough idle on morning start and blue smoke?