5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Fuel Gauge Dropped While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge Dropped While Driving

Filled my tank today and while driving home the gayge dropped to 0 and the light kicked on. Its not the gauge I tested that and it dosnt seem to be the wiring its all intact. I can not find a sending u it for this truck or any good info anywhere. Can someone show me a good way to test it or a link to a quality sending unit. Its a 2003 standard output motor with auto transmission. Thank you

Old 03-11-2018, 08:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like out of range sensor voltage for the guage, either a dead short or an open sensor depending on how it operates. You did not say what this was on, but a lot of vehicles have issues with the connector on top of the tank. If you can reach it, wiggle the conector where it plugs in, if the guage starts working, probably a bad connection causing an open.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has happened to me. Its a PIA the test all the wires. Theres a big plug under the driver front fender, sometimes that comes loose. Mine eventually started working again after two weeks or so. And now sometimes it likes to start moving towards the full mark. Try getting to that plug, disconnect it and spray some electrical cleaner in there.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on doing that with the plug on top of the tank as well. Recently it started going all the way full some times. This weekend ill bust out the multimeter and check the plug on top of the tank and clean/grease those 2 connections. Ill report back. Thanks guys