5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

LARGE amount of fuel in the oil!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LARGE amount of fuel in the oil!!

First off Im new to the forum......Im sure there has been post some where down the line about this but Ill go ahead.

I have an 06 2500 with a 5.9 with a 50hp diablo power puck. I was on a little trip and before I started I checked the oil and actually added a qt or so then went on my way. About 45mins to an hr in I stopped for fuel and when I got out the truck reaked of diesel, been spouting it from the puke tube. I pulled over and checked my oil and it was way high on the dip stick. I got towed home and when I drained the oil I got almost 7 gallons out of the crankcase. My question is could a bad injector dump that much fuel in or did something go to pot with my CP3 pump??? It just seems like a ton of fuel so quick. I appreciate any input.

**Truck was running fine when all this happened only reason I noticed is because I pulled over for fuel. No smoke and when I changed the oil it started right up with no issues at all??**

Last edited by cracker22; 11-18-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Cracked injector will do that maybe a bad o-ring but doubtful You washed your engine for sure! Hopefully no scored cylinders! Pull your injectors and get a new set! Use a mini camera to look in the cylinders! How many miles on the motor? man that's bad news!

Old 11-18-2015, 08:19 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Oh man! Sorry to hear about that bro. That's gonna be a rather pricey repair! Been there, done that, but fortunately my cylinders were not scored. Still sucked.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking cracked head. The fuel return rail that goes across the head. This is really rare. But with the symptom, you said, the truck would be smoking white if an injector is leaking and not as good of power and ruff idle, And in a short period to, that is the most possible scenario.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:00 AM

Looks like this thread has been going for a while. I actually just ran up on the same problem. Went to do my first oil change after purchasing my truck. I did not have 7 gallons drain out, but more then likely 3-4 quarts of oil/diesel mix. I would like to assume the best ant that this problem has just started. At any rate, I completed the oil and filter change and parked it. Since then I have run it for several short periods trying to note any spray at the top of the valve-train. Non noted.... I am going the replace the fuel filer and add some florescent dye. I am hoping to see some sign of leakage from the top. If not I guess I need to pull the injectors and look for signs of seal damage. I do Have a question however. If I blow compressed air into the feed port of the injector, is this enough air pressure to note leaks in the return or crack leaking injectors? Although the motor does have a lot of mileage, it does not seem to huff any smoke or cause any cap-dance at the valve cover. Any advise or thoughts about my diagnosis in what I have done so far and plan to do would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:27 AM

Update.. I'm took the least offensive step and pulled the injectors. The previous owner indicated that the injectors were replace about 10-20 k ago. I think he was "mistaken"? At any rate, all O-ring seals seem to be in good shape.. The feed tubes all look new along with one of the injectors with far less build up on the nozzle (I am thinking one was replaced and not the set).. I am packing them up and sending them off to be tested. I found a place called Taylor Diesel Group. I called and got a 5 minute education about the industries definitions of re-manufactured vs rebuilt. They do all work on site. Any feedback on them would be appreciated. Injectors will be shipped of next week, I will update progress and experience,