Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Diesel leak above transmission? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/124557-diesel-leak-above-transmission.html)

CumminsCoalRoller24/7 11-25-2014 04:10 PM

Diesel leak above transmission?

1 Attachment(s)
Hey bombers- I'm a newbie to the diesel scene and to the forum so be nice!

My 06 5.9 has been leaving puddles in the drive way- thought it was from ac but when I crawled under and smelt it - yup it's diesel :td: I had read maybe it was from my fuel filter drain or seal- that's all dry- after drying everything I traced it up to the top of the transmission. There is a drip coming from between the engine and transmission and it slides its way down to the bottom of the tranny. This is only when running- Can anyone tell me what line this is? I can't seem to find any info! :argh: the hose is rubber and goes from rectangular box with fins back over toward passenger side. What is the name of the box also? The arrow for #11 goes over the rectangle I'm talking about. It is that top left hose that turns back behind motor- Truck is running and starts fine- no sense in wasting diesel unless it's in a black cloud! :tu: Thanks in advance

dangerous1965 11-26-2014 07:31 PM

It's the fuel return line on the back of the head. 18mm wrench should work I think?!
It's a banjo fitting hopefully the line isn't cracked!

CumminsCoalRoller24/7 11-26-2014 11:38 PM

Thanks dangerous :tu: - do you think it's just loose and may need to be tightened up? I'm not familiar with the banjo fittings- I can't see exactly where it's leaking due to it being blocked by other lines and obstacles - when I reached in behind there I felt the line go from rubber to metal- do I need to worry about over tightening?

cerberus60 11-27-2014 08:41 AM

Before you dig into the fuel gallery return check all your lines looking for cracks or leaks, specififcally #4. Those lines will leak and the fuel will run off the back of the head making you think the issues is there.

A boroscope makes a wonderful tool to get into those tight places and find the source.

CumminsCoalRoller24/7 11-27-2014 07:36 PM

I have heard that #4 is notorious for leaking- I'll take a closer look tomorrow and try to get a visual on the leak- I found this other thread that might be helpful

https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...line-leak.html

Does the #4 line run from the drivers side top of the motor to the fuel filter? I noticed it's not bone dry on top of motor which makes me wonder if maybe there is a leak up there- However I would think I could see it seeping or spraying while running being- right there

If I can't figure it out tomorrow then off to the dealer :td:

cerberus60 11-27-2014 08:30 PM

#4 injector line is notorious fro breaking and really making a mess. All of the injector lines can suffer a crack at the cross over tube connection and it will be a small leak that will run off the back of the engine. If you have fuel on the top of the engine back of the intake horn you likely have a leak somethwere there.

CumminsCoalRoller24/7 11-29-2014 12:36 PM

Cerberus60 you were right- bad news for me- line #1,4, and 5 all are leaking where they enter the top of the motor at the flare- all the run off was dripping down back of the motor- dealer wants $871+ tax to replace 3lines and the retainers- aren't these line fairly easy to replace? Just 2 19mm fittings one at each end of the line? anything to be careful of when replacing them?

cerberus60 11-29-2014 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by CumminsCoalRoller24/7 (Post 1081208)
Cerberus60 you were right- bad news for me- line #1,4, and 5 all are leaking where they enter the top of the motor at the flare- all the run off was dripping down back of the motor- dealer wants $871+ tax to replace 3lines and the retainers- aren't these line fairly easy to replace? Just 2 19mm fittings one at each end of the line? anything to be careful of when replacing them?

The lines are $40-60 at normal prices. Check with a local Cummins dealer or Genos Garage for prices. Dealer will be way expensive.

The lines are easy to replace. You NEED a backup wrench on the cross over tube so you don't disturb it and cause further issues. I think on the 06+ trucks just remove the valve cover and the gasket with the injector harness in it and you should be ables to access the cross over tube holder easily with a wrench.

The 03-05 trucks require removal of the VC spacer as the harness connector sits right over #5 cross over tube.

CumminsCoalRoller24/7 12-01-2014 08:54 AM

Phew

Okay - now that I have picked my jaw up off the ground- I called my local Cummins dealer(North San Antonio) they had 2 of my 3 lines in stock- prices were from $22-$28each- so for under $90 out the door I have all 3 lines- vs the dealer wanting $80-$127- ridiculous!

Putting in line 4&5 after I get my truck from dealer (doing tie rod ends on recall)

CumminsCoalRoller24/7 12-01-2014 04:42 PM

Found this video on how fuel travels throughout the system and also mentions the crossover back up wrench you were talking about. I Hope someone else can find it useful

Does anyone know torque specs on high pressure fuel lines? I have seen 41-44ft lbs- does that sound right?