Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   replacing front driveshaft ujoints (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/106722-replacing-front-driveshaft-ujoints.html)

rednekroper05 12-17-2012 02:39 PM

replacing front driveshaft ujoints

ok im trying to re place the ujoints on my front driveshaft however the axle side of the shaft appears to be staked in. How do you go about removing them?

the truck is a 06 3500

H.R.D 12-17-2012 02:57 PM

Staked on? This video may help you...

rednekroper05 12-17-2012 03:09 PM

im talking about the pins (steel i guessing ) that are on the yokes. you can see a real good picture of what i am talking about at 1:47 in the video

H.R.D 12-17-2012 03:13 PM

The only thing holding the drive shaft to the yoke is 4 torx head bolts. Those ridges are just for added strength and alignment.... I may not know what you mean exactly.:humm:

rednekroper05 12-17-2012 03:18 PM

i already have the shaft off its the ujoints themselves that i am talking about. so if my post was confusing but.

H.R.D 12-17-2012 03:20 PM

Oh snap, Okay I am on the same page as you now.

Moose 12-17-2012 03:25 PM

Factory u-joints are held in the yoke by a plastic/resin that was injected upon assembly instead of simply putting a standard clip in there. Get ahold of a torch of some kind and gently heat the yokes to melt the plastic; it should come oozing out without much trouble. After that simply remove the u-joint caps as usual, clean the bores and install the new stuff. The yoke has a groove for the new snap ring.

H.R.D 12-17-2012 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Moose (Post 972535)
Factory u-joints are held in the yoke by a plastic/resin that was injected upon assembly instead of simply putting a standard clip in there. Get ahold of a torch of some kind and gently heat the yokes to melt the plastic; it should come oozing out without much trouble. After that simply remove the u-joint caps as usual, clean the bores and install the new stuff. The yoke has a groove for the new snap ring.

Could you not just press them out?

minncountryboy 12-17-2012 03:28 PM

Those pins that go into the ujoint is actually just a plastic ring that goes around the ujoint to hold it in place.. take a torch and heat up around the cap.. you'll know when you get it all out, it'll be like popping a big ass pimple, if you got a buddy with a cutting torch I would suggest using that cause it gets hotter and will melt it faster... Once you have the plastic melted around all the caps wait till it is cooled down so you bend the yokes and start pounding till it comes apart.. if you don't melt the plastic itll be a pita to get out. Good luck have fun and :c:

rednekroper05 12-17-2012 03:48 PM

thanks guys.

Also by the way does anybody have part numbers on the the ujoints for the axle side and transfer case side along with the a number for the ball and socket part