Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   grid heater take off (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/92301-grid-heater-take-off.html)

holset cummins 03-02-2012 01:50 PM

grid heater take off

hay guys, how bad will it effect my truck if i take my grid heater off. i live in colorado so it can get pritty cold but the truck is always in a garage and i allow it to warm up before i drive it.:humm:

Devon527 03-02-2012 03:17 PM

Whats your reason for taking it out? I just dont see a benefit taking it out, but thats just me.

holset cummins 03-02-2012 08:44 PM

i tapped a boost lead on a grid delete and i was going to stick it on my truck but i just wanted to know how bad it would effect my truck but i watched some videos on u tube and it lookes to be ok. but i was also wondering if i need to do anything when i take it off besides take those two wires and the ground wire off and if it will through a code?

Cummins2000 03-02-2012 11:06 PM

it will not throw a code.
And i would just tap the manifold, pretty easy to do also, then you don't have to worry about cold starts.

wildbill 03-03-2012 12:09 AM

Just remove the main cable from the solenoids to the heaters. :tu:

RAW 03-03-2012 01:49 AM

The modifications to your truck don't really support the need to delete your grid heater. If your simply dong it for he reason that they don't work, tape up the power leads at the heater. If you feel then need, buy a grid heater delete as well. It will flow slightly better, but doubtful you will notice the difference. Our sponsors can help you out with the hardware.

Ed ke6bnl 03-03-2012 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by holset cummins (Post 866332)
i tapped a boost lead on a grid delete and i was going to stick it on my truck but i just wanted to know how bad it would effect my truck but i watched some videos on u tube and it lookes to be ok. but i was also wondering if i need to do anything when i take it off besides take those two wires and the ground wire off and if it will through a code?

what is a boost lead??

RAW 03-03-2012 09:05 AM

I think he drilled and tapped a hole to put a boost gauge fitting in.

DieselWeasel 03-03-2012 12:05 PM

It is a nightmare to start a non grid heater truck if she isnt plugged in... My heater solenoids went to poop and needed replaced. Here in Ohio it gets cold, not sure how it compares to Colorado, but probably the same. It was a PAIN to start my truck after work. A few times when it was blistering cold i didnt think she was going to go. Not worth the risk because if the batteries get low one day you may not have enough juice to get her to fire!
I have quite a few more mods then you and still wouldnt get rid of my grid heaters. They are just fins in the intake. They dont restrict as much air as you would think!

01quadcab 03-04-2012 01:57 PM

The grid heater delete does nothing for power. a buddy of mine on his 12v did 1000 on diesel only through his grid heater. my truck always had grid heater too when it made 683