Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   KDP Question (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/7880-kdp-question.html)

Uncle Bubba 01-11-2008 09:58 PM

OOOHHHH NO, It's andrew. As I live and breath. I don't know about the 12V cover not fittin the 24V but I did finally after all the years of talkin about it pulled my cover a few months ago. On my 99 it was not the improved version that holds the dowell in. I got lucky I suppose. 200,000 miles and the pin had not budged at all from where it started.

JSPulliam21 01-12-2008 10:51 AM

I removed the fan hub and radiator on mine as well. It made work easier.

Dr. Evil 01-12-2008 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by piperca (Post 102710)
If you do some research, you'll find it's more than just the case. Yes, the old case allows the pin to travel outwards, since there is no shoulder, but in the 12 valve engines the weight and vibration of the injection pump is what also contributes to the KDP. You don't have that problem with the VP.

One last thing; I dare anyone to take a casing from a 12 valve truck and use it on a 24 valve truck with a VP, it just will not work. Therefore, the casings are different between the two applications ... for what it's worth, since I know I'm starting an argument ... right doctor?

No arguement here.

How do you explain people finding their dowel pins have moved on their 24Vs?

Fishin2Deep4U 01-13-2008 02:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an '02 that had the KDP take out the case. This is not a second hand account. This is my dad's truck.

There was a hole punched in the usual place and the pin was mangled.

Attachment 59124

Dave

Dr. Evil 01-13-2008 01:01 PM

Youre scaring me Dave - My 98 is done but I havent looked at my 01

Lucky that was a warranty repair...

Dr. Evil 01-13-2008 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by piperca (Post 102710)
If you do some research, you'll find it's more than just the case. Yes, the old case allows the pin to travel outwards, since there is no shoulder, but in the 12 valve engines the weight and vibration of the injection pump is what also contributes to the KDP. You don't have that problem with the VP.

One last thing; I dare anyone to take a casing from a 12 valve truck and use it on a 24 valve truck with a VP, it just will not work. Therefore, the casings are different between the two applications ... for what it's worth, since I know I'm starting an argument ... right doctor?

I will refer you to post #14 Sir

Fishin2Deep4U 01-15-2008 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil (Post 103320)
Youre scaring me Dave - My 98 is done but I havent looked at my 01

Lucky that was a warranty repair...

I just hate for someone to not to check it out based on the assumption that they have the upgraded case. From the little I can tell, you can't tell from VIN, build date, factory or event he external case.

Mine was the upgraded model. My dad's was not. I bought my truck from the same lot he did and his build date was later than mike. Also, the same factory produced both trucks.

For the cost of a seal, a tube of RTV or Permatex and a tab, it's cheap insurance for anyone to check it out IMO.

Most likely, most guys will never have an issue. That's just not how my luck goes!

Dave

piperca 01-27-2008 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil (Post 103321)
I will refer you to post #14 Sir

Darn it, Doctor, you got me again! :igive:

I must turn my attention to the year of the truck. This is a first and you'll have to agree with me on that. Not to mention, this is the first valid piece of evidence I've seen that a post '98 (12 vavle) truck has had a problem.

In my earlier post, I was laying out, exactly, the explanation given by Cummins ... which makes perfect sense.

So now we are saying ALL 2nd gen trucks have the KDP problem ... that's scary!

Fishin2Deep4U 01-28-2008 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by piperca (Post 110801)

So now we are saying ALL 2nd gen trucks have the KDP problem ... that's scary!

I would say no, but assume that they do. Until that cover is pulled, no one would really know.

Dave

NukleusX 01-28-2008 02:53 AM

I am really close to pulling everything on mine that is needed to do the KDP tab, even though my truck has 278k miles and counting (263k when i bought it). I am just paranoid, even if I pull things and it is tabbed already, will make me sleep better at night!!!