Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Could it be something else?? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/76881-could-something-else.html)

outlaw1_gt 05-22-2011 10:11 AM

Could it be something else??

Well about 2 days ago i starting getting the dreaded po216 code. I have only had the injection pump for 11 months. I have an air dog with a constant 15 psi of pressure. When i first start it it blows white smoke and runs like it has air in the system. Now it only does this if it sat for a few hrs or overnight. After it warms up it runs fine, no hard starts. Could it be something else?????

hydroshok 05-22-2011 10:54 AM

Where do you have the Airdog wired up to? The stock pump on mine is wired funny and does not run until the truck is running, which makes it hard to start if it sits as the pressure drops. I think it is wired into the starter somewhere. You could check that first. My Airdog is on the way so I have no clue where it wants you to wire it.

outlaw1_gt 05-22-2011 11:06 AM

no mine is wire the way they said as soon as you turn key on you hear it run

kegs99 05-22-2011 11:33 AM

Injectors. Brothers truck had the same deal. Pull them and get them pop tested.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Or possible blown head gasket

dukeboy_318 05-22-2011 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by kegs99 (Post 756105)
Injectors. Brothers truck had the same deal. Pull them and get them pop tested.

Or possible blown head gasket

This x2

outlaw1_gt 05-22-2011 05:37 PM

injectors are only a year or 2 old.... why would the head gasket throw p0216 code?

I did a test to see what would happen when i let the truck sit and warm up it starts to clear up...

Cody Cummins 05-22-2011 08:00 PM

mine does the same thing, i gotta keep cranking the starter for a bit, sometimes itll start right away and others it takes a bit to start, it also blows a bunch of white smoke on the first initial start up of the day, seems like its loosing prime overnight, or while in the parking lot during the day!

outlaw1_gt 05-23-2011 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Cummins (Post 756258)
mine does the same thing, i gotta keep cranking the starter for a bit, sometimes itll start right away and others it takes a bit to start, it also blows a bunch of white smoke on the first initial start up of the day, seems like its loosing prime overnight, or while in the parking lot during the day!

Yea exactly but mine starts very easy

so losing prime im going to start with overflow valve

Diesel Dawgs Performance 05-23-2011 11:43 AM

I fixed a friend of mines that was doing the same with a new overflow valve. His was worn out and letting the fuel slowly return to the tank.

crazycooter 05-23-2011 02:24 PM

if it starts on the first crank, it is not injectors. That does sound like you are losing prime, and have a little air in the system that you have to push out. either return valve or a crack in a fuel line or injector line somewhere.