Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   apps symptoms (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/36127-apps-symptoms.html)

Diesel Dawgs Performance 11-14-2009 09:26 PM

$450 :ouch: :ouch: OUCH

Hope it fixs your problem though.

dennhop 11-18-2009 05:10 PM

yeah, that's a bit more than I spent for mine...gotta love Timbo's APPS! also, if you're worried about it, check your codes by using the key trick...turn the key to the on position, then off, three times. The third time, leave it in the on position, and watch your odometer. IIRC, it should flash PCM, then whatever P codes you have, then wait, and it'll flash ECU (or ECM, can't remember off the top of my head) and whatever codes you have. I think APPS is P0122 or P0121, something along those lines. If you see P0216 though, you've got a dying VP44.

kazairl 11-19-2009 02:52 PM

Also I didn't see it mentioned. If your having dead pedal problems try using your cruise control. The Cruise bypasses the APPS and if that is causing your problem you will be able to maintain speed. Pedal still won't work but you can adjust speed using the cruise. If its the VP then the truck should still go into limp mode.

As least it worked on my manual truck. Don't know about an auto. And I feel your pain. The Last time my APPS quit was about 6 months before they came up with that cheap aftermarket solution. I paid $450 also.

For those interested in a DIY That part that seems to fail the most on the APPS is the Idle Validation circuit. The APPS handles this function electronically. It is a rather easy procedure to mount a mechanical microswitch that handles this same function. If I'm not mistaken that is all the Timbo APPS does. Most times the potentiometer section is still good.

blkjack 11-19-2009 03:19 PM

Good post there kazairl I orderd one of those Timbo apps today and that is good to know about the micoro switch. Thinkin now im going to investigate that further and see if i cant do a post on how to set one up once i get my new one on and going for those having probs. And like you said w/ the cruise mine does fine w/ cruise on dosent act up then.

lunk 11-19-2009 03:53 PM

run two stroke about 3/4 of a qt in your diesel at every fill up a whole qt if your just about empty add the two stroke then fill up it keeps everything lubed and happy. plus more mpgs and power and truck runs a little quiter:tu:

blkjack 11-19-2009 04:48 PM

Yea have been running the 2 stroke oil i mix about 1oz per gal didnt notice anything power wise but just peice of mind to know that the vp and lp is getting lubed.

crazycooter 11-20-2009 02:29 PM

Am pretty convinced that it is down to the vp44. ouch. think I wasted my money on the apps. also wished I'd known about the whole micro switch and such and had more time. now I am looking for a good price on a vp44.