Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   K & N Air Filter Cleaner (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/35111-k-n-air-filter-cleaner.html)

Captn_tyler 10-28-2009 01:28 PM

K & N Air Filter Cleaner

What else can I use to clean my K&N air filter? I have about 4 bottles of the oil, but the cleaner gets used faster than the oil. I am sick of buying the 20 dollar kits

12vcummins96 10-28-2009 01:34 PM

windex:U:

Captn_tyler 10-28-2009 01:38 PM

HA... I knew it smelt like somthin

Dr. Evil 10-28-2009 01:41 PM

I would not use Windex - Simple Green.

Uncle Bubba 10-28-2009 01:47 PM

Don't clean it. I haven't cleaned mine in probably 70,000 dusty trail miles and the filter minder still hasn't budged and my truck doesn't smoke at all and all that tells me it's still gettin plenty of air. If you look at my filter you won't even see pleates any more cause of all the crap packed in there. If you read through the K&N site it tells ya that they even use the debris for extra filtration, they're made to run dirty.

Personally I think most of the problems people have with these filters is that they pay them to much attention and over clean and oil them. When i changed my oil the other day, I have to pull the air filter and intake tube to get to the oil filter off, I just took a screwdriver and scraped some of the crud out. In my world it's cleaned now.

Captn_tyler 10-28-2009 02:57 PM

Ha that pretty funny. But in my bosses world there are rules, Oil to be changed every 2800 miles with Fram oil filter and delo 400 40wt., air filter to be cleaned and oiled, and air freshener to be changed use only PINE

Ed ke6bnl 10-29-2009 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba (Post 419785)
Don't clean it. I haven't cleaned mine in probably 70,000 dusty trail miles and the filter minder still hasn't budged and my truck doesn't smoke at all and all that tells me it's still gettin plenty of air. If you look at my filter you won't even see pleates any more cause of all the crap packed in there. If you read through the K&N site it tells ya that they even use the debris for extra filtration, they're made to run dirty.

Personally I think most of the problems people have with these filters is that they pay them to much attention and over clean and oil them. When i changed my oil the other day, I have to pull the air filter and intake tube to get to the oil filter off, I just took a screwdriver and scraped some of the crud out. In my world it's cleaned now.

defenitly some truth to this, this applies to pleated air conditioning felters as well, as the dirt sticks it increases the filtration to a point. a pressure drop gauge will tell the real time to change out the filter, but not sure of the quality of the dodge filter minder. Ed

Uncle Bubba 10-29-2009 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Captn_tyler (Post 419834)
Ha that pretty funny. But in my bosses world there are rules, Oil to be changed every 2800 miles with Fram oil filter and delo 400 40wt., air filter to be cleaned and oiled, and air freshener to be changed use only PINE

2800 miles, Fram Filter. Is he crazy. Why drive a diesel if your gonna change gallons of oil every 2800 miles, your killin any cost advantage the diesel may be givin ya. And Fram filter, they are the worst on the market, it's like filterin your oil with a cardboard box. They have been responsible for many a engines bein rebuilt.

RAW 10-29-2009 08:19 AM

I have heard the same about Fram filters, and stopped using them. The nice thing about Fram was the grippy bottom on them, no filter wrench required taking them on, or off. I now run Deere filters on my truck. Working for the dealership cuts the cost, plus they are a damn good looking filter. I have cut one open to see there construction, and it looks great.

Another filter that I will NEVER EVER run is WiX. Keep that crap away from me. Others may like them, but after cutting oil and fuel filters apart, there is no way I will ever run one on my rig.

midnite><og 10-29-2009 08:27 AM

i clean mine every other oil change... granted i have a gasser, so my oil changes are about every 4k... mine remains trictly street, even so its pretty dirty. the cleaner does go fast than the oil.... maybe some car soap and water? bleach?