Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   heater is not so hot (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/33516-heater-not-so-hot.html)

Dr. Evil 10-03-2009 01:25 AM

Yes, but on a 10 year old truck I would really be thinking that the problem is the heater core.

MacsDieselStore 10-29-2009 11:47 AM

Just happened to me too. It was the heater core.

Are you getting steam on the inside of the windows?

Kentucky99 10-29-2009 02:23 PM

My truck is the same way.I think there is a door around your heater core that is staying open letting cool air in with the hot You'll have to take the dash off to get to it. I've done everything from patching vaccum lines to changing the thermostat, even flushing my lines.Your best bet is that door:argh:

Bosshogg 10-31-2009 01:24 PM

Heater cores aint as bad as yall think they are. Bring it to me, I'll do it for a fair price.

I just put one in mine and I didnt think it needed it last year, but let me tell you the heat this thing puts out now is incredible!!! Night and day difference.

Mopar1973Man 10-31-2009 03:52 PM

Hmmm...

You could flush the heater core out using compressed air and water. It might shake the crud out of it... But typically I change coolant every year (25-30K miles) while changing and flushing the system I replace the thermostat. So far in all the years of owning my truck I've not had a single issue with cooling system or heaters...

As a matter of fact my radiator look like new on the inside and the block is rust free yet...:w2:

RAW 11-01-2009 01:14 PM

I recently had the whole climate control box out of my '01. Not a bad job, and a bit easier with a buddy. It's a good time to run any wires that you need for gauges, stereo, or any accessories. I had everything closed up when I found a ground strap left over, and couldn't think of where it came from. It the dawned on me that it came from the heater core. From what I have been told, this is a vital part to the longevity of a heater core. I quickly flipped the dash back down and installed it.

bozinw 11-02-2009 07:32 PM

recently changed heater core

I recently change the heater core and while I was in there I change the AC core out as it wasn't working very well either. After i got it all back together I realized the bypass door for the heater to AC was not functioning and had to take it apart to fix the problem. One thing that I was told that if you have heat going to the heater core and you can feel heat but it is not coming out, the switch motor could be bad, this was a problem on these trucks (motor going bad). you still need to pull the dash to get to the motor (located on the left bottom side of the box assembly) the door is activated by the vacuum hot cold switch on the dash, another "lesson learned" was that the main vacuum feed to the heater system is behind the heater core and comes through the same hole as the hoses go through. Check all of your vacuum lines and ensure they either did not come off or are not broken.

The job is not that hard and having a buddy there helps even though there is not a lot of room for two people to work at the same time.

Good luck.

Kerry

nick b 11-03-2009 09:02 PM

i think my water cooled turbo had some crud in it and it got knocked loose an went in the heater core im going to try flushing it out when i take that pice of junk off an make room for the 64

nate379 11-03-2009 11:43 PM

I've never had great heat in my truck. I have a 190* T Stat in it and it has been taking about 15 miles for the truck to get up to 190* on the gauge. 10-15* outside.

When it's -30* out the heater on high keeps the cab maybe 55*

Probably need to replace the heater core, but until it puts out no heat or starts leaking I'm not messing with it.

blkjack 11-04-2009 10:14 AM

Try flushing it first if you think you have crud in it thats cheap and easier than the heater core R&R but flush it backwards as not to lodge thigs deeper usally will dislodge things good luck :ok1: