Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Transfer case pops out of gear (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/31853-transfer-case-pops-out-gear.html)

JSPulliam21 08-30-2009 03:14 PM

Transfer case pops out of gear

My transfer case jumps out of gear when I tow anything, and lately it has been doing it unloaded while going up a hill. It only pops out when I am in fourth gear, too. I have been told that the plastic pads on the range fork are worn out. I pulled the PTO cover off the case and looked for damage. I cannot see anything damaged, and the pads I can see look fine. I am currently pulling the PTO covers off the tranny to see if there is anything obvious in there, like maybe a bunch of metal shavings. Any ideas about what to do next?

mysterync 08-30-2009 03:25 PM

If it was only in low range i would say the low range gear was worn or damaged but since it's all the time theres only three things that would cause it:

Shift linkage loose or binding
Shift linkage out of adjustment
OR Range fork is messed up, Binding on the shift rail or the inserts are worn and allowing it to jump the fork.

has it been adjusted? Here's the procedure:
Shift Linkage Adjustment
Move shift lever into 2H position.
Raise vehicle.
Loosen shift rod lock bolt at trunnion.
Check shift rod fit in trunnion. Be sure rod does not bind in trunnion.
Verify that transfer case shift lever is in 2H position. The 2H position on the transfer case shift arm is the second position from full forward.
Lower vehicle.
Position the shift lever on the cab such that the distance from the instrument panel to the 2H position dot in the shift lever insert is 14.6 cm (5.75 inch) . Ensure that the measurement is made parallel to the floor of the vehicle.
Tighten shift rod lock bolt to 10 Nm (90 inch lbs.) torque.
Check shift linkage operation. Be sure transfer case shifts into and operates properly in all ranges.

wildbill 08-30-2009 04:11 PM

T-case is wore out. Also got paper thin bearings that get enough slack to cause problems.

JSPulliam21 08-30-2009 07:24 PM

I do not think the shift linkage is out of adjustment, since I have not adjusted it, and there are not any more marks on the rod from the set screw. I will go out and measure the 2 hi location now. What point on the instrument panel do I measure from? So, the next step is to tear down the case and check the fork and inserts out? What does a complete rebuild cost on one of these things? I may just pull it and take it somewhere.:ouch:

mysterync 08-30-2009 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by JSPulliam21 (Post 386937)
I do not think the shift linkage is out of adjustment, since I have not adjusted it, and there are not any more marks on the rod from the set screw. I will go out and measure the 2 hi location now. What point on the instrument panel do I measure from? So, the next step is to tear down the case and check the fork and inserts out? What does a complete rebuild cost on one of these things? I may just pull it and take it somewhere.:ouch:

In all honesty the other comment regarding these cases is very true, If you have eliminated all the other options , I would say he's correct. You can get it built by just about any 4x4 shop of any caliber with higher quality parts.

turbo20psi 08-30-2009 07:47 PM

Parts and labor they are about 400.00 to 500.00 to rebuild with better stuff.Had mine done 3 months ago seals,check the chain,bearings. That is with him taking it out.o and a new yoke on the drive shaft and ATF+4.

JSPulliam21 08-30-2009 08:22 PM

The shifter was about one inch too far rearward. I adjusted it to 5.75 inches. I am calling a transmission shop tomorrow for a quote. I would rather do it once and right than pull it apart twice for something else later.

sidekick 08-30-2009 08:32 PM

did it help when you adjusted it

JSPulliam21 08-31-2009 06:03 PM

I won't know until I drive to work in the morning. I doubt it, because the detents are in the case, not the shifter assembly. We will see.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

No difference after adjusting the shifter. I talked to a couple of tranny shops today, and they both said the same thing. Range fork is worn out/bent. On one hand I want to just pull it apart and replace the range fork, but on the other I don't want to miss something else worn out and pull the case again. What all do I need to replace the fork, as far as tools? Is it a difficult job?

94cummins12v 08-31-2009 06:08 PM

its a very easy task, i had to swap gears and bearings from my 242dld into my current 241 dhd and it was about a 3 hour job from start to finish, very easy to take apart if you havent done it before it will take a bit longer. if you put all the parts back in were they went you wont have an issue