Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Airdog install gone bad!!!!! (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/27728-airdog-install-gone-bad.html)

kazairl 06-09-2009 05:44 PM

FWIW I got a 216 code when I installed my Airtex after my LP died. That was a year ago.

I usually do the first 3 cylinders when I bleed injections lines. If you can bleed 3 cylinders it usually start. You don't have to take the lines all the way off just back them off a thread or 2.

mysterync 06-09-2009 05:48 PM

We use a VP-44 tester but it's designed to diagnose problems from the pump to the ecm. After say 10 tries (let the starter cool 15 min between each 2 minute start) if you dont have fuel you can probably say the pumps gone. Loosen a low pressure fitting or open the water drain and make sure you have adequate fuel volume.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

PS a note on the first three lines.....I would drop back to 1 3 and 4, or to make it easier 3 4 and 5. 2 is a pain unless you have your grid heater off!

gibbyiscummins 06-09-2009 06:13 PM

hey i know this sounds stupid but make sure you didnt kink any lines. my uncle told me the same thing and i laughed like he was dumb questioning my mechanic work. a week later turns out a kinked a line where i couldnt see it. fixed it and started right up no problems since

Uncle Bubba 06-09-2009 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba (Post 348256)
If the truck was runnin good when you replaced the LP I'd bet on havin a massive amount of air in the system that just needs to be bleed off. Just keep on bumpin that starter till you gettin steady flow through the injectors and ten tighten em down.

If you haven't already done it would also start checking for air at the fuel cannister and work your way through the system. Go from the cannister to the outgoing line on the injector pump and then to the injectors. Do one injector at a time and start with the easy ones in the front. If you can get the first couple to flow fuel it normally will get the truck started. When you think you have fuel there also hold your foot to the floor on the go pedal while your crankin to allow the air to flow through the system and out.

Did you try the other fittings also to see how far you were gettin fuel to without air.

Mopar1973Man 06-12-2009 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by texas503 (Post 348242)
Hey I just installed an AD 100 and install went easily. I installed fuel into stock fuel canister. I primed system but truck will not start. I ran code and got P1688 which is Internal Fuel Injection Pump Controller Failure. What does this mean? Is the injection pump dead? I did bleed lines to injection pump, do I need to bleed injectors? Please help!!

Becareful guys...

P0216 is a physical wear issue. But a 1688 code is a electronic failure code. So I would try to rest the code and see if it goes away. But if it reutrns right away the the VP44 is most likely shot.

Lossen the fittin at the VP44 (supply line) and bump the starter and make sure you got good flow to the VP44. Then loosen 1,3,4 injector lines and have a buddy watch the lines looking for good fuel spray. If the fuel doesn't spray from any of the lines I would have to say the electronics of the VP44 are shot...

But just for kicks and giggles I would double check all wiring going to the VP44 and ECM for bad connections.

four_wheel_n 04-03-2011 09:27 PM

I just did this install a few weeks back and everything went smooth til we tried firin the truck up. I was under the impression my rig didn't have an in-tank pump and turns out it did. My raptor 100 wouldn't pull fuel thru the electric in-tank pump and as soon as we bypassed the damn electric pump I was gettin over 30 psi and the truck fired right up. We farted around with it for hours and talked to 4 different mechanics before we decided to pull the unit out of the tank and realize how dumb we were. Make sure you're gettin fuel TO the injection pump.

Boondockers 04-05-2011 09:55 PM

vp 44 does not like high fuel pressure when you are trying to start it

four_wheel_n 04-06-2011 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Boondockers (Post 735522)
vp 44 does not like high fuel pressure when you are trying to start it

Haha, yeah, it kinda scared me. It started to climb and kept going up...Now it hangs out right around 18.