24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!!!!

So I have a 1998.5 cummins. Installed an edge comp. drive it up the road and back. Ran fine. Then installed a fass 150 with a sumo pump. After installed bleed filters and lines. Cranked it up and it was loping and skiping. I just assumed it was air in line. So I blead all fuel lines. When I crack and injector line I can see it squirt fuel then it will stop. And then squirt etc. I should add when I first ran pump it blew fues. I didn't have a spare so I wrapped wire around to test it.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:01 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

What fuel pressure are you seeing? If you are blowing fuses you need to check the wiring as there is something wrong.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by gh0stman
What fuel pressure are you seeing? If you are blowing fuses you need to check the wiring as there is something wrong.
I don't know my fuel pressure. Don't have a gauge yet. But it's only blowing fues on the fass. Hooked it all back up stock and took chip off and still have the issue. Think it could be the ecm? Everything ran fine before I installed fass.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:43 PM
Diesel Fan

If you are in a bind and need to test you can always t into the line and check it with a standard cheap pressure gauge, expect about 15-18ish psi. Now beyond that, I wouldnt do a thing with the fuel until your wiring is gone over. Could be crossing somewhere. My guess is you followed the fass directions to use the existing wiring? Chip, ecm, etc. were all good prior to this issue, I doubt they were the problem or that you fried them, just need to find the short, Or potentially test the pump with a test lead close where you can see the wires, maybe its internally messed up???? My guess would be call FASS, their customer service is excellent in diagnosing these kinds of issues.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by davidthomas
If you are in a bind and need to test you can always t into the line and check it with a standard cheap pressure gauge, expect about 15-18ish psi. Now beyond that, I wouldnt do a thing with the fuel until your wiring is gone over. Could be crossing somewhere. My guess is you followed the fass directions to use the existing wiring? Chip, ecm, etc. were all good prior to this issue, I doubt they were the problem or that you fried them, just need to find the short, Or potentially test the pump with a test lead close where you can see the wires, maybe its internally messed up???? My guess would be call FASS, their customer service is excellent in diagnosing these kinds of issues.
Imma try to find the short tomorrow. Hope it's an easy fix. Pretty sure imma have to send ecm off to get it rebuilt.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:28 AM
Diesel Wrench

Don't do that till you figure out the problem. No sense in wasting money if you don't need to.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by gh0stman
Don't do that till you figure out the problem. No sense in wasting money if you don't need to.
hot wired injection pump. And it has no change. So I'm almost positive that's what it is. I'm getting good clean fuel. At 18ish psi.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:54 AM
Diesel Wrench

If you hot wired the vp and got nothing it sounds now to your VP bit the dust.