Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   need to find a way to worm my truck up quicker ? high idle switch ? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/117018-need-find-way-worm-my-truck-up-quicker-high-idle-switch.html)

dman01cummins 11-23-2013 01:10 PM

need to find a way to worm my truck up quicker ? high idle switch ?

Need help finding a way to get my truck to worm up quicker I have herd of a high idle switch that turns off 3 of the cylinders. This is my first diesel and I'm trying to figure out what I can do and where I can get it

jigabop 11-24-2013 04:04 PM

have a dealer enable high idle in the ECM, or have someone that lives near you with a smarty come reflash your ECM for you to enable high idle.

once the software is enabled in the ECM it will engage on its own under the right outside temp conditions, or you can manually enable it with a high idle switch from DAP.

as for the right conditions: if it is below 32* outside 6-cyl high idle will engage on its own and rev to 1200rpm until either throttle or brake are pushed, or coolant temp reaches over 170*

3-cyl high idle will engage on its own if outside temp is below 15* F outside. it shuts off under the same conditions as 6-cyl high idle.

also coolant temp must be below 140* F for high idle to engage and it takes about 60 seconds of engine run time before the RPM's start ramping up.

illinoisfox 12-03-2013 08:27 PM

Let it idle for 3-5 minutes and DRIVE it easy until the water temp come up.

Pokechop 12-03-2013 11:34 PM

You can also find pedal-depressors for around $20. It hooks to the steering wheel and holds constant downward pressure on the throttle so you can set the RPMs where you want them. It's not as nice, mind you, but a heck of a lot easier and cheaper. If you have a 53 block, like myself, I would NOT "let it idle for 3-5 minutes and DRIVE it." No matter how easily you drive it, in my opinion, you're taking a serious risk.

jigabop 12-05-2013 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Pokechop (Post 1038281)
You can also find pedal-depressors for around $20. It hooks to the steering wheel and holds constant downward pressure on the throttle so you can set the RPMs where you want them. It's not as nice, mind you, but a heck of a lot easier and cheaper. If you have a 53 block, like myself, I would NOT "let it idle for 3-5 minutes and DRIVE it." No matter how easily you drive it, in my opinion, you're taking a serious risk.

I have a 53 block and sometimes let it warm up for 5 minutes and drive it nice and easy (no load behind it) till it comes up to full temp before I get on it..

of course the 5 minutes are 3-cyl high idle. :D

Pokechop 12-05-2013 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by jigabop (Post 1038449)
I have a 53 block and sometimes let it warm up for 5 minutes and drive it nice and easy (no load behind it) till it comes up to full temp before I get on it..

of course the 5 minutes are 3-cyl high idle. :D

My truck hasn't been flashed for high idle... Being from South MS, we rarely see cold Fall/Winter days here. Not worth the price to have it flashed. Haha.

lauber_03 12-05-2013 06:17 PM

oh it gets cold in south ms sometimes :) I use to live in gulfport-biloxi area for about 5 years. saw snow once actually, but like jigabop said borrow a smarty or have a dealership reflash the ecm. as far as actual high idle foolers ive never used one but ive read up on one from moparmans site.

High Idle Fooler Set-Up for Sale!!!!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

diesel auto power also has some kits too.

Pokechop 12-05-2013 08:26 PM

I live just north of Gulfport/Biloxi! Haha, yeah it dips down, but I've only seen snow stick to the ground once here in my entire life... back in '96. I don't have any friends with a Smarty. I could call the dealership, but I've heard of some dealerships charging as much as $125!

lauber_03 12-05-2013 10:40 PM

the south does run a bit steep on price. really high for a/c anything. don't ever go to champion chrysler on pass road, dumber then shit there. a tech one day didn't know what reflashing an ecm was. i know about 3 or 4 people there that have smarty's but they are all deployed at the moment.

Pokechop 12-06-2013 12:58 AM

Haha. Champion Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram... You're absolutely right. My step-dad used to manage Bayside over on Automall Pkwy. in D'Iberville. I don't trust them either. Hahaha.

Old Man Disney was right! It is a small world after all.