24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

need to find a way to worm my truck up quicker ? high idle switch ?

Old 11-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to find a way to worm my truck up quicker ? high idle switch ?

Need help finding a way to get my truck to worm up quicker I have herd of a high idle switch that turns off 3 of the cylinders. This is my first diesel and I'm trying to figure out what I can do and where I can get it

Old 11-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

have a dealer enable high idle in the ECM, or have someone that lives near you with a smarty come reflash your ECM for you to enable high idle.

once the software is enabled in the ECM it will engage on its own under the right outside temp conditions, or you can manually enable it with a high idle switch from DAP.

as for the right conditions: if it is below 32* outside 6-cyl high idle will engage on its own and rev to 1200rpm until either throttle or brake are pushed, or coolant temp reaches over 170*

3-cyl high idle will engage on its own if outside temp is below 15* F outside. it shuts off under the same conditions as 6-cyl high idle.

also coolant temp must be below 140* F for high idle to engage and it takes about 60 seconds of engine run time before the RPM's start ramping up.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let it idle for 3-5 minutes and DRIVE it easy until the water temp come up.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also find pedal-depressors for around $20. It hooks to the steering wheel and holds constant downward pressure on the throttle so you can set the RPMs where you want them. It's not as nice, mind you, but a heck of a lot easier and cheaper. If you have a 53 block, like myself, I would NOT "let it idle for 3-5 minutes and DRIVE it." No matter how easily you drive it, in my opinion, you're taking a serious risk.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokechop
You can also find pedal-depressors for around $20. It hooks to the steering wheel and holds constant downward pressure on the throttle so you can set the RPMs where you want them. It's not as nice, mind you, but a heck of a lot easier and cheaper. If you have a 53 block, like myself, I would NOT "let it idle for 3-5 minutes and DRIVE it." No matter how easily you drive it, in my opinion, you're taking a serious risk.
I have a 53 block and sometimes let it warm up for 5 minutes and drive it nice and easy (no load behind it) till it comes up to full temp before I get on it..

of course the 5 minutes are 3-cyl high idle.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by jigabop
I have a 53 block and sometimes let it warm up for 5 minutes and drive it nice and easy (no load behind it) till it comes up to full temp before I get on it..

of course the 5 minutes are 3-cyl high idle.
My truck hasn't been flashed for high idle... Being from South MS, we rarely see cold Fall/Winter days here. Not worth the price to have it flashed. Haha.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

oh it gets cold in south ms sometimes I use to live in gulfport-biloxi area for about 5 years. saw snow once actually, but like jigabop said borrow a smarty or have a dealership reflash the ecm. as far as actual high idle foolers ive never used one but ive read up on one from moparmans site.

High Idle Fooler Set-Up for Sale!!!!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

diesel auto power also has some kits too.

Last edited by lauber_03; 12-05-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Diesel Fan

I live just north of Gulfport/Biloxi! Haha, yeah it dips down, but I've only seen snow stick to the ground once here in my entire life... back in '96. I don't have any friends with a Smarty. I could call the dealership, but I've heard of some dealerships charging as much as $125!

Old 12-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the south does run a bit steep on price. really high for a/c anything. don't ever go to champion chrysler on pass road, dumber then **** there. a tech one day didn't know what reflashing an ecm was. i know about 3 or 4 people there that have smarty's but they are all deployed at the moment.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:58 AM
Diesel Fan

Haha. Champion Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram... You're absolutely right. My step-dad used to manage Bayside over on Automall Pkwy. in D'Iberville. I don't trust them either. Hahaha.

Old Man Disney was right! It is a small world after all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need to find a way to worm my truck up quicker ? high idle switch ?