Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   High idle and 3 cyl idle (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/106163-high-idle-3-cyl-idle.html)

snowshoveler 12-04-2012 04:51 PM

High idle and 3 cyl idle

I took my truck to the dealer and asked about getting the high idle enabled and also the 3 cylinder idle as well.
The truck is a 99 with 140 miles on it.
Has an edge juice box with edge, 4 inch stainless exhaust and bla bla bla. You get the idea.
I copied out the flash number and printed off everything.
Took it all to the dealer. Showed the service advisor the paper work. First mechanic had no idea about any of it. Second mechanic (their diesel guy) has done many of the same already and was familiar with it all. Sure.
1 hour and 169 bucks later I have no high idle but subosedly have the 3 cylinder idle.
Wouldn't think thats possible but sometimes it take a bit to learn things I guess.
And I learned my lesson.
I never thought to ask here if a cummins dealer could do this instead.
Regards Chris

H.R.D 12-05-2012 06:09 PM

I don't believe a Cummins dealer can turn it on because it is a Chrysler ECM. To my knowledge you can't have 3 cylinder idle on with out having high idle turned on. I believe it is all or nothing.

snowshoveler 12-05-2012 08:50 PM

I should have bought my Buddy a box of beverages and got him to upgrade my truck with his smarty.
Oh well, its warm here or a while yet so I won't know what was actually enabled for at least a week or 2.
Chris

colinheitshusen 12-05-2012 09:04 PM

It should all be on one flash im pretty sure. ive got the high idle and If its less than like, 30 degrees it'll kick up to 1200rpm, and 3 cyl will kick in under 10 or so. worth the 170 bucks to me if it works right.

H.R.D 12-06-2012 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by snowshoveler (Post 968669)
I should have bought my Buddy a box of beverages and got him to upgrade my truck with his smarty.
Oh well, its warm here or a while yet so I won't know what was actually enabled for at least a week or 2.
Chris

Originally Posted by colinheitshusen (Post 968676)
It should all be on one flash im pretty sure. ive got the high idle and If its less than like, 30 degrees it'll kick up to 1200rpm, and 3 cyl will kick in under 10 or so. worth the 170 bucks to me if it works right.

Just an FYI the below pdf has the parameters for high idle to kick in...

Ramitt 12-07-2012 01:09 AM

Get a 39k ohm resistor and stick it in the iat sensor plug and the high idle will start after about a min. You cant have 3 cyl high idle with having reg high idle. I built my own kit to run the high idle or 3 cly anytime by flipping a few switches. Honestly for the price you didnt get a deal on that one. You can enable it with a smarty also. I called around looking to find a cheap price to get mine enabled and the cummins place couldnt do it for the fact its a chrysler ecm.

H.R.D 12-07-2012 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ramitt (Post 969100)
Get a 39k ohm resistor and stick it in the iat sensor plug and the high idle will start after about a min. You cant have 3 cyl high idle with having reg high idle. I built my own kit to run the high idle or 3 cly anytime by flipping a few switches. Honestly for the price you didnt get a deal on that one. You can enable it with a smarty also. I called around looking to find a cheap price to get mine enabled and the cummins place couldnt do it for the fact its a chrysler ecm.

Good call I forgot about doing that. :tu:

snowshoveler 12-07-2012 04:08 PM

Started it this morning and it was just cold enough for it to go to the high idle, which it did.
The wife was very surprised, and I was pleased.
When its gets colder I think the 3 cyl idle will run too.
I called the shop today and told the service lady that it did indeed work and that I would be in to buy the technician a coffee. He did seem concerned that he couldn't get it in.
So all in all I am pleased with the "upgrade" .
Regards Chris

RollinCoal99 12-09-2012 12:28 PM

loading a smarty on your truck will enable 3 cyl and 6 cyl high idle. even when smarty is removed your ecm will still have it