Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Loosing Coolant, And Can't Find It. (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/10321-loosing-coolant-cant-find.html)

Mopar1973Man 03-12-2008 10:19 AM

Any word on what you found yet???:pca1:

GBWELDING 03-12-2008 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Queeg (Post 130319)
im not the only one this has happened too. i got the idea from cowhand on dtr. he had the same thing happen. keep us posted. let us know the outcome!

I'm having the same issue, seems worse when i keep the truck plugged in, gonna get a new cap. Keep us posted on what you find out:c:

AndyMan 03-21-2008 04:06 PM

Still haven't had time to look at it much. I'm in a carpool and only drive it one week every other week. Next week I'll be driving and should be looking back into it.

GBWELDING 03-21-2008 05:06 PM

Same here, just post up when you figure somethin out, If I hit on anything I'll let ya Know:c:

01Diesel Bomb 03-24-2008 07:57 PM

I am having the same prob. but when I adjust my temp inside the truck I can smell anti-freez for a little bit, if I have it al the way cold it does not do it or when the temp is all the way to hot. It only happens about the middle, so I am thinking my heater core is going out?? Is this a problem any one else has had? Oh ya mine is very slow it go down in the over flow bottle from full it might take 6 months or more to go half way down.

Benjamin 03-24-2008 08:10 PM

one thing that is cheap to do is replace the hose going from the radiator to the overflow bottle. it can be cracked or have a pinhole in it. whe it's cold it won't leak but as you drive it the rubber expands and will weap water out since it's not a pressure hose and then close back up once it cools down. you'll spend no more than 2-3 bux on this. also i'd bite the bullet and put a new cap on while you are at it. 7016 is 3.99 and 7716 (w/the pressure relief tab) is 5.99 from Autozone. and the hose can't be more than 99cents a foot.

AndyMan 03-24-2008 08:36 PM

Thats like $6.00!!! Man are you high or something? I'm just not sure that I'm willing to make that kind of commitment. What if it doesn't work? I'm not sure I can gamble that kind of money.

j/k dude:pals: I'm prob attempting humor b/c I just paid $103 for fuel and want to cry. When I bought my first dodge Cummins diesel back in 02, I was paying $50 to fill the tank... :baby:

Alas.. back to the matter at hand.... That's actually a really good suggestion. I was already on the bandwagon to replace the rad cap as Uncle Bub had suggested. But the line to the overflow is a good suggestion too. Didn't think of that... or anything else you guys pointed out. It's nice to have smart and helpful friends.

Mopar1973Man 03-24-2008 09:27 PM

There is a UV dye you can add to the coolant... Then use a UV light and check over the system. The UV Dye shows up rather brightly in the UV light. Then you can check all external areas of the truck...

GBWELDING 08-09-2008 11:06 PM

I changed the thermostat as Queeg suggested and it has seem to cure the problem, I can't explain how it stopped it with a sealed system cap not lifting and pressure tested the cap and the whole coolant system, let it set for 2 hours with 15# on it and it held solid. Don't have a clue where the coolant was going.Guys thanks for the help, just kills me when I can't explain how or why.:argh:

MotorOilMcCall 08-10-2008 11:45 AM

Is this on the 99? Could it be the infamous 53 block?