Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/)
-   -   Where to put my money. (https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02/100014-where-put-my-money.html)

iWannaRollCoal 07-31-2012 01:24 AM

Where to put my money.

If I buy this truck: 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 | ksl.com
What mods do i put on it first and in what order.
Give me a list i could do one at a time over a long period of time. because i dont have the money to blow all at once.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.:tu:

1999stroker 07-31-2012 01:29 AM

First take it to a tranny shop a reputable one, have the bands tightened, filter changed and new fluid n gasket. Then if that checks out gauges boost pyrometer fuel pressure trans temp, diy intake, next a lift pump airdog or Fass 150 if its a 24 valve can't tell, then a programmer if 24 valve, that's a good start. Also have the front end checked if you don't k le how replace worn parts dodges are notorious for sloppy front ends.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

iWannaRollCoal 07-31-2012 01:36 AM

I know that the truck has gauges. he says it has a new front end. it is a 24 valve what are some good programmers. it has an edge ez. Then what thanks for your input.

1999stroker 07-31-2012 03:08 AM

If it has gauges her set there. Next is have the trasmisson checked out, them exhaust and intake if not done already, then a lift pump first if he doesn't have one already, then a programmer as I stated in my first post like a Smarty, edge drag comp with hot unlock are your best bet if it already has gauges, now if you want to ditch the gauges and go to a monitor the quad adrenaline with pulse v2 or edge cs pr cts with attitude.

iWannaRollCoal 07-31-2012 03:54 AM

How much for a transmission checkout??

1999stroker 07-31-2012 04:36 AM

Idk. Call around and ask.lost where your located and.maybe a fellow member could point you in the right direction or look at it for you for a small fee.

RAW 07-31-2012 06:54 AM

$240 is what I have been paying for a flush with synthetic oil and tune up.

iWannaRollCoal 07-31-2012 02:39 PM

Thank you

RAW 07-31-2012 03:10 PM

As stated above, a lift pump is very important if you don't have one already. $500 now saves $1000+ down the road, plus less down time.

Edge Comp is a great fueling box, but has no features. Edge Drag Comp is the unlock version, with a little extra power thrown into the 5th level. If you want features, back downs, turbo timer, gauges, etc, then I would suggest an Edge Juice with Attitude (EJWA) CS or CTS. Edge has excellent customer service.

So, fuel system, trans tune up, programmer/chip, and then you get into more money and more power. You'll need to dump more into that auto to make it hold though. A torque converter and valve body are the minimum, and a full rebuilt the better option. Problem is, that full rebuild stickers around $4500.

Depending on your goals depends on the modifications.

iWannaRollCoal 07-31-2012 05:42 PM

Do you guys think the tranny will be ok? if i get it tuned up and serviced? i have patients i will wait for another truck that is a manual. dont wanna waste my money on a truck that wont be able to handle mods without a 5k dump into a new tranny...