Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   first mod advice (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/92885-first-mod-advice.html)

trentowens92 03-12-2012 07:38 PM

first mod advice

im new to diesel so i hope this doesnt sound stupid...but this summer i am planning on doing a few mods on my 91.my question is which would be the most beneficial to me?(other than the fuel pin,govener spring,and gauges)

-currently it is non intercooled.would putting an intercooler on help?
-also i have heard putting on a smaller turbo housing will help build boost faster.
-a completely different turbo
-p pump conversion
-anything else you suggest??

any and all help is appreciated.thanks

Diesel Dawgs Performance 03-12-2012 07:39 PM

Depends on how much power your looking for and your budget.

trentowens92 03-12-2012 07:55 PM

right now im just pretty much window shopping.looking around curious as to what there is out there.idk if i should put all the money into a p-pump conversion,or should i do a few smaller mods...i would like a decent amount of fuel mileage without terrorizing my fuel mileage.all ideas are welcome.

if you got any thoughts i would be interested in any and all info you got for me...fuel mileage increase,power increase,pros and cons,cost,ease to install.

Cummins12Club 03-12-2012 08:25 PM

check the stickey and listen to anything said by member BC847

Rusty89Cummins 03-12-2012 08:59 PM

keep it a true 1st gen and stay away from the p-pump. :tu:

turbo2332 03-12-2012 09:08 PM

you gotta have a goal. 300-400-500-600HP what do you want?
and VE pumps are for weiners that think they make enough power! LOL

1st_gen_puller 03-12-2012 10:00 PM

The VE's run pretty good in my opinion... Now i know there not no dyno king but i believe a VE motor set up with the right parts could be more than sufficient for the decent mileage fun truck your looking for... read on injectors... that would be my 1st upgrade of power adders... of course you'll want gauges and an exhaust... depending on how ''reliable'' you want it depends on how much $$ you wanna spend without power gains... i would personally do clutch/built tranny (if it's an auto), new head gasket and studs.. def kill the KDP, timing spacer,4k spring, that should get you a damn good start... keep it 1st gen all the way!!!!

1STGENFARMBOY 03-12-2012 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cummins12Club (Post 870748)
check the stickey and listen to anything said by member BC847

Agreed...he is a sharp fella, and not from reading forum post's, it's from real world trial and error, learn from your mistakes, experiance.

Dar

Rusty89Cummins 03-12-2012 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by turbo2332 (Post 870778)
you gotta have a goal. 300-400-500-600HP what do you want?
and VE pumps are for weiners that think they make enough power! LOL

ahh come on now. ve pumps can do pretty well:tttt:. everyone wants a p-pump setup, it just too easy to make power with them lol.

trentowens92 03-13-2012 09:18 AM

well i dont really know a goal yet as far as actual numbers...i like torque.i wanna get up and go as fast as i can.i also wanna be able to pull the hell out of somethin.i just hate all these rich kids in town whose mama and daddy are buying them the new chevys and fords and drivin around raisin hell...i wanna be ridin and if they hit it just leave them in the dust...kinda like light to light racing.

as far as tranny i got the nv4500 5speed with the 5th gear nut fix and hardened input and output shafts.

and for the pump,idk whose side im on in that one.lol i am still learning.from what i have heard the p-pump was better,but then again im sure everything has its ups and downs