Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   Achieving 250 hp. (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/89833-achieving-250-hp.html)

93coalroller 01-19-2012 01:08 PM

Ive got my pump turned up with a 3200 gov spring and a bully dog fuel pin, 75 hp injectors, HX35 turbo off of a '00 cummins, and a BHAF. Ive hardly ever seen my EGTs over 1000. Smokey if you just floor it but when the turbo lights it clears up real good and hardly even hazes. To me its good clean power. Do you have a trans cooler on your truck? It would help a ton for towing.

big bad diesel 416 01-19-2012 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by sweetv8s10 (Post 845728)
I have ran them in both of the trucks I have owned and never had a problem.

i have seen 4 issues with them and turbos failed due to poor filtration

i dont sell them for a reason

some guys have great luck it all depends on conditions

CUMMINStagetcha19 01-19-2012 06:04 PM

i'm not new to cummins, i'm new to first gens and non lock TC's. i didnt say i was going to go around "rolling coal" like a jack wagon. i want to familiarize myself with the VE pump and it's settings. and beable to tune it. the K&N will stay, and the trans/tc has about 5k miles on it. no boost leaks. i dont believe in throwing money at something for a solution. what pump mods, including a fuel pin # would you suggest? and would a smaller exhaust housing or an hx35 be a good solution? i have boost, egt, rpm, and trans temp gauges.

Cummins12Club 01-19-2012 06:50 PM

Denny T stage two fuel pin, i really like mine, ask big bad diesel to show you the link w/ all the tech info on VE pumps as he has done for me,

Pacman 01-19-2012 09:58 PM

The only problems I've ever seen with k&n are when people don't service them correctly, run them with tears, or when people buy the cheapo knock-offs. Never have I seen problems cause by a well maintained genuine k&n.

flyingcrodeo 01-19-2012 11:02 PM

I had a K&N Filter in my 07 6.7L and it ate up the turbo at 100,000. Had it in there for about 30,000 miles but before that ran a stock filter up until 70,000 and changed it with every service at 5,000 then threw the K&N on and I did clean it and re oil it correctly it's just they suck if you live in the country. But for people who live in the city they are great but out here better keep your stock filter on. And these first gens filters are big enough I beleive enough air goes through them just change them out more often. :c:

sweetv8s10 01-19-2012 11:30 PM

How can u say it was the filter?That would be like changeing your oil and a couple weeks later your engine blows up but that dont mean the oil done it.

tower_ofpower 01-20-2012 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by sweetv8s10 (Post 846074)
How can u say it was the filter?That would be like changeing your oil and a couple weeks later your engine blows up but that dont mean the oil done it.

Does if it was the wrong oil :tttt: I personally won't use a k&n just because you can hold it to the light and see holes in the gauze. They rely entirely too much on the oil in the gauze to trap the dirt rather than the media itself. They're really using 50+ year old technology, using the fundamentals of an oil bath air filter. AFE dry flow is my new fav filter, you can wash em' and reuse them just like the k&n. Filter of choice for the truck, a good ol bhaf. Haven't looked into a dry flow, can only imagine the price. M&H timin spacer... Some of the best money you can spend on your pump and it'll make your fueling mods barely noticeable smoke wise and bump you up to 250 in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mechanically 01-20-2012 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by sweetv8s10 (Post 846074)

Brice is right. I've never had issues with a K&N, but I have seen them. They'll filter okay, but they come apart and end up in your turbo. I've also heard less than spectacular stories about the AFE. People running them have had way more silicon in their oil when they run a test, which means you're getting plenty of flow, but it's not filtering. The AFEs have worse reads than the stocker.

sweetv8s10 01-20-2012 10:02 AM

Brice could u tell me what an S&B filter is made out of because they look an awful lot like a K&N?