Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   BIG PROBLEM................. (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/89756-big-problem.html)

flyingcrodeo 01-17-2012 08:36 PM

BIG PROBLEM.................

Ok I got oil running out of my bell housing..... Like pouring out! Out of the little slit at the bottom.... Any ideas? I'm thinkin crankshaft seal or freeze plug idk

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

It's a 1992 W350 5-speed by the way

moparbubbabt59l 01-17-2012 09:15 PM

Popped a rear main seal

Sent from my DROIDX

Begle1 01-17-2012 10:09 PM

That's what it'd have to be, don't think there is a freeze plug back there... But I've never seen a rear main pour oil before?

Transmission isn't full of motor oil, is it?

tower_ofpower 01-17-2012 11:46 PM

There's a soft plug in the back of the block for the cam, but the engine adapter plate covers it up, new 5.9 adapter plates are actually o-ringed and the soft plug is non existent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyingcrodeo 01-18-2012 04:10 PM

Yeah it POURED out while i was in town so i limped it to my shop i use walked in threw them the keys and said oil leak fix it and left. Well they called me the next mornin and said it was the rear valve cover gasket and it had busted in the back by the fire wall and they said it must of ran down the back and looked like it was coming out of the bell housing but i swore it was. Can it get in there from the top??? Then come out? And i would check the trans but its a 5 speed get rag and its a b*tch to check and then fill back up.

RanchhandTCR 01-18-2012 05:22 PM

YEA if the rear valve cover busts it can run down the back of the blcoj and look like a rear main, to bad you gonna have to pay em to fix that lol 40 bucks for all the seals and a 15 or 20MM wrench and five minutes you wouldve had it fixed

flyingcrodeo 01-18-2012 06:32 PM

Yeah it's been leakin but I never seen it coming out of the valve cover and it has been goin down the back thaught it was the oil pan but i guess it just finally busted and ran down there. But didnt know it could get into the bell housing like that?

RanchhandTCR 01-18-2012 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by flyingcrodeo (Post 845306)
Yeah it's been leakin but I never seen it coming out of the valve cover and it has been goin down the back thaught it was the oil pan but i guess it just finally busted and ran down there. But didnt know it could get into the bell housing like that?

There opening in the bell housing to keep the Fly wheel and flec plate cool and keep dust out kinda.

flyingcrodeo 01-18-2012 11:05 PM

So can it get in at the top? jw it probly never came out of it just ran along the bottom of the bell housing and hit the opening and then dripped off and to the ground idk i was just pissed and didnt look at it really good.

RanchhandTCR 01-19-2012 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by flyingcrodeo (Post 845538)
So can it get in at the top? jw it probly never came out of it just ran along the bottom of the bell housing and hit the opening and then dripped off and to the ground idk i was just pissed and didnt look at it really good.

HAHA i wouldent know for sure unless I looked at it myself.