Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   Grid heaters (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/87949-grid-heaters.html)

NadirPoint 12-17-2011 12:33 PM

I don't see why not. As far as controlling the grids is concerned, the PCM is just a timer switch for either one or both heaters, depending on the signal it sees from the intake temp sensor.

tower_ofpower 12-17-2011 12:47 PM

I've been contemplating a 3 way switch that still utilizes the PCM as a timer but fools it into thinking it's much colder out than it really is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That93Guy 12-17-2011 01:09 PM

So would you just have to find the wire that comes off of the PCM that goes to the relay that kicks on the grid and cut it and take it to a switch? I haven't gotten into the electrical system yet at all but is that right?

1993firstgennewbie 12-17-2011 01:33 PM

You should think about re wiring the truck I did mine this summer and before I did the speedometer didn't work and the truck would just shut off and dash lights didn't work. Old wiring is the main culprit of a car BQ

That93Guy 12-17-2011 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1993firstgennewbie (Post 832337)
You should think about re wiring the truck I did mine this summer and before I did the speedometer didn't work and the truck would just shut off and dash lights didn't work. Old wiring is the main culprit of a car BQ

if I was a little better at wiring I would probably just do the whole thing, but right now it all works (except my trailering tail lights) and I don't have the time to take on anything that's not necessary, and its like 5 degrees outside and it currently transmission-less and thats my first thing I need to get taken care of.

Someday i might tackle that one.

NadirPoint 12-17-2011 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by That93Guy (Post 832331)
So would you just have to find the wire that comes off of the PCM that goes to the relay that kicks on the grid and cut it and take it to a switch?

No, just disconnect the stock grid relay triggers and connect your own manual trigger switch. Extremely simple. The hardest part is running new wires to it and mounting the switch.

tower_ofpower 12-17-2011 06:06 PM

I was going to but a resistor in line to fool the PCM that it's colder out than it really is at a certain switch position. I'm going to replace the intake temp sensor before anything

tower_ofpower 12-17-2011 06:11 PM

Maybe even a high idle solenoid for one of the 3 positions

NadirPoint 12-17-2011 07:19 PM

You're over thinking this. You don't Need alot of complexity to get some heat in the intake for cold starting. The grid system is more complex than it needs to be stock. That's what started this thread in the first place wasn't it?

That93Guy 12-17-2011 11:04 PM

where are these wires I would need to find? I don't know anything about the grid system to be frank.